27. The Valley Of The Shadow

I had stared at the picture all night. I had looked at it under a specific light to see if any subliminal messages lay hidden. There were none. I analyzed the only words on the back of the photograph. B.W. Bastion Welles. It was him. He looked so different in the picture. He looked happy. He looked free. A smile was spread across his face. His cheeks looked chubby and red. It was a summer day. A hot…beautiful summer day.

I bolted up quickly that night. My mind raced. Could this be the day Reena had described to me? I sighed after a few minutes, shaking my head. For the little girl was neither Nadia nor Reena. And only the family was together on that day.

So who was the girl? Was she of any importance? Was there a connection to her and the family's past?

Was I losing my mind?

After these questions swam through my mind for several hours, I decided that for one night, seeing just a fragment of the past was enough.

Next morning was a different story entirely.

The photo was in my messenger bag, hidden in my history notebook. I protected it like it was gold. For it was.

I had a connection with the Welles' now. I had a piece of them with me. And even though they weren't here, part of me could feel them. When someone passed by, the air felt like Bastion's breath. When someone pushed against me in the hall, it felt like his touch. When I heard a laugh, I smiled imagining it was his. And when I heard the faintest whisper, I imagined he was next to me…letting me be a part of him.

The photograph established no truth to the Welles' past.

It only gave hope for their future.

To my frustration, lunch arrived quite slowly. I was so anxious to meet with the group. I had so many questions, so many thoughts. I couldn't contain myself any longer. I had decided last night I was going to confront them about the Welles'. For the first time, I was going to let part of me slip away. I wanted to pour out my soul and heart. I wanted answers. I needed them.

And the group knew the Welles'…they knew the Welles' especially.

So as I edged up to the table, my lunch tray relatively empty, I felt strong and brave. I was ready, for anything. Good, bad, wrong, right. I was ready.

"Hey guys," I said quickly, sitting down. I had an unusual smile on my face. I didn't know why.

No one replied, as per usual. They were all captive in their own worlds. However, today they all looked quite somber. I ignored it quickly, reminding myself that everyone had been looking quite somber lately

"Can I talk to you guys about something?" I asked, glancing around.

Harry was the only one to look up. The others just kept on…keeping on.

"Guys," I remarked blatantly, a certain harshness and annoyance to my voice. But I was. They could at least have given me the time of day. I wasn't responsible for their problems…whatever they may be.

The other three looked up rather slowly. Vida had a murky expression occupying her face while Melody looked as if she was about to have a complete breakdown. I looked at Ryan. He looked pissed. I shuddered. Maybe they had spoken to each other. Maybe my advice to Melody had only upset Ryan more. I shook of the guilt, realizing I had to persevere.