6. I Didn't Ask For You, Buddy

I Didn't Ask For You, Buddy

I couldn't concentrate on any of my English notes. Everything that spewed out of Ms. Mandingo's mouth sounded like gibberish. I don't even remember having a clear thought during that class period. I could only focus on the fact that for the next three weeks, I would have to work personally with Bastion Welles. I would have to be one-on-one, practicing a poetry skit.

I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs before drowning myself in the girl's restroom toilet. Either that or stab myself to death with my pink, princess pencil.

What really made me beyond uncomfortable was having Mr. Welles himself smiling my way every few minutes. He had been ecstatic ever since his and my name had been murmured in the same sentence. And with every grin he smiled, the more I knew I couldn't last weeks on end alone with him.

At the end of class, I bolted from my chair, preparing myself to take the role of the "beggar".

"Ms. Mandingo…" I started humbly, "I know you said all groups are finalized but…I was just hoping I could-

"

"Ms. Mandarin!" a girl screamed as she shoved me to the side, silencing my voice, "I cannot be paired with Jake. He's a…nerd!"

"My name is Mandingo," Ms. Mandingo quietly replied.

The girl just rolled her eyes, not caring one bit what this ladies name was. Before Mrs. Mandingo could even try to reply to the teenagers demand, several other students had already rushed up to the table. And they all wanted the same thing: a new partner.

"That's it!" Ms. Mandingo finally screamed, standing up on her skinny legs, "No one, and I mean no one, gets a new a new group member! What you get is what you got! Now please…leave me alone…"

After scrambling to pack her papers, Ms. Mandingo stumbled out of the classroom, leaving several unsatisfied students.

"I can't believe I have to work with Amy," a guy named Robert murmured unhappily.

"You're unhappy about Amy…I'm stuck with Jeremy!" another girl whined.

I stared on at all of them, heaving a sigh. My plea had been lost in the sea of complaints and now I was stuck with Bastion Welles for good.

"What are you up here for, Mary Had a Little Lamb?" one girl said, pointing at me, "You're the luckiest person in class. You get sexy Bastion Welles."

"Yeah," another girl chimed in, "We can only dream of hanging out with the allusive hottie. Did you…do you actually not want to be partners with him?"

I was vigorously shaking my head while my hands began to tremble fervently. But the other students weren't convinced. They only rolled their eyes with disapproval and made certain I knew of this disproval as they pushed my belongings to the floor.

"I hate that girl," I heard one murmur as they walked out, "But I'm certain Julie Barker will hate her even more after she gets word of this."

I closed my eyes in despair. I didn't want to be with Bastion Welles. I was fine admiring him from afar. But now it would be the talk of the school. Once again, I was going to be the freaky student that everyone disliked for doing absolutely nothing at all.