3. Happy, Not So Happy, Not Happy

There is something about being up in the morning when I don't have to that really ticks me off. I mean, I could be in bed. Bed! My sanctum, my livelihood, my life! But no, instead of being in my BED, I'm walking the cold streets of Kingston at six-thirty a.m. Walking? Yes, walking! Why? Because my car decided today would be an awesome day to break down. It would not start.

I rubbed my arms, pacing into Leon's neighborhood. I liked how the houses were so much shorter in this part of town. They looked so snug and comfy. They almost looked edible.

Walking a little farther, I finally came upon the Mokena's house. Quickly running up the pathway, I knocked on the door. Several seconds passed. I knocked again and rang the doorbell. I glanced around. I knocked again.

"Okay..." I whispered, "I'm heeeeere..."

I was going to knock one more time. However, just as my hand was about to touch the door, it swung open. It was Leon. His hair was undone and he was dressed in a robe and slippers.

"Mary, it's seven o'clock," he said in groggy voice, wiping his face, "What are you doing here?"

I shook my head. "What are you talking about? You invited me to come over here. Remember, yesterday at the restaurant. You were the one who said to come early. You said you wanted to hang out."

He inhaled deeply. "I don't-don't remember saying that."

I sighed, looking away. I fidgeted with my fingers. I felt so stupid. Of course, it was joke. How could I actually believe he wanted to see me at seven in the morning?! I had walked all this way for nothing. But maybe, maybe it wasn't a joke. Maybe he had just simply forgotten. That would be so much worse.

"Sorry. I'm...I'm gonna go," I whispered, "I knew this was just-"

"Joking! I'm just joking, you idiot! Don't freak out."

Okay...I was officially confused.

I stared at Leon. My eyes widened as he ripped off his robe, revealing that he was fully dressed. The slippers were just covering his sneakers and he had a rubberband for his hair.

It was...a joke.

"Got you, didn't I?" he said gleefully, stepping out onto the porch. He was braiding his hair as I stomped down the steps. I didn't find his gag amusing in the least.

"I thought you had really..." I muttered, "Nevermind."

I glimpsed over my shoulder. He wasn't grinning any more. He actually looked sad.

"I'm sorry," I heard him say, "I was just kidding."

He looked down somberly. I couldn't help smiling. It was a rather well thought out scheme.

"Okay, you got me," I mumbled with a low grin.

The statement made him instantly look up and laugh. He then continued to tell me how shocked and disgusted I looked when he 'disrobed'.

"People wear clothes underneath their robes, Mary!" he screamed.

"Some people don't," I whispered, "Hence the robe!"

Leon rolled his eyes with a snicker, glancing at the road. "Where's your car?"

"Stupid thing broke down. I had to walk here."

"Pickles."

"I know, right?"

"Well, we can take my car."

I placed my hands assertively on my hips. "Wait, you said we were going to hang out."

"I said I wanted to show you something," Leon corrected with a devious grin, "Now get in the car."