14. Can I Run With You?

"Mary…pass the syrup."

"Oh…bite me."

"Mary, just pass your brother the syrup."

I sighed as my lazy hand reached for the bottle of molasses. I clutched it harshly, almost throwing it into Oliver's hands. He scowled while rolling his eyes, pouring the sweet goodness over his pancakes. It wasn't that Oliver and I had had a disagreement even thought we often did. And it wasn't that I just wanted to upset my mother which I often did. No, it wasn't any of that.

I suppose I just wasn't into it. And by "it", I mean life. Things had been going okay lately. The ridicule at school had partially subsided. People still giggled and gestured at me but it wasn't anything I couldn't stand. I had to admit that in a way things were actually better. They were.

Convincing my heart they were was the almost impossible part. I couldn't help lying around in a perplexingly depressed manner. It didn't make sense. Not one bit of it.

"Mary," my mother said, sitting down at the table, "You haven't touched your food at all this week."

"She anorexic...even I know that," Oliver murmured

"Shut up," my step-dad corrected before glancing my way. "I am a little worried about you though, May May."

"I'm fine..." I stated dryly.

"I don't think so," my mother sadly retorted, "Are you sick? Did something happen at school?"

I pursed my lips, sighing. I suddenly realized that my parents knew nothing about my life. They probably still think I'm some innocent child who's been able to go through life as a ghost. I rolled my eyes, knowing everything in Phoenix had gone otherwise.

"No..." I lied promptly after the words came from my mother's lips, "And like I said...everything is fine."

"Well...if you say so," John mumbled before turning back to the sports editorial in the newspaper.

My mother, on the other hand, wasn't swayed.

"Mary, are you not telling us everything? You know you can talk to me."

"Mom...it's okay," I answered with a groan.

"But it's not. I'm your mother and I need to be clued in on your life. I don't want to pry. But if something is happening, I want to be involved. You seem so distance these days I can't even-"

Ring-Ring!

I almost screamed for joy when I heard the shrill chime of the doorbell. After shouting "I'll get it!" to my family, I quickly rose from my chair and raced down the hallway to the front door. I didn't care who it was. As long as I was away from my mother's unusual, overbearing behavior, I would be fine.

I grasped the doorknob, trying to waste as much time as possible. Maybe if I stayed at the door awhile, my mother would forget our conversation. I took this time to straighten my tousled hair and hide myself in my hoodie.

After waiting a couple more seconds, I swung open the door.

"Hello...who...?" my voice trailed off. There was no one there.