Home Sweet Temporary Home

Donna and Cassie had been so kind to me. I just couldn’t figure out why they would offer a place to live to a complete stranger. I figured they would just pity me at the bar, and then wish me good luck and go about their own business. Cassie had me follow behind them in my car. They lived only a few blocks away from the bar, which was a good thing, because I’m not sure if I was capable of driving as buzzed as I am. It is stupid of me to even get behind the wheel of a car just drinking one beer. But I had several drinks tonight. I guess I wanted to sign my life away, if it was being put behind bars or being buried sex feet under. However, we were all lucky enough to make it to their apartment without any kind of accident.

“Let us help you with your bags.” Donna was waiting for me to step out of my car.

“Thank you, but I can get it. There is only a couple of suitcases.”

“Honey, you really don’t know how to accept a favor, do you? We want to help, so let us help. You have had a long day.” Donna had a point. I guess it is hard for me to really accept people being nice to me. I’ve never really had anyone be kind to me. Even my boss and co-workers back home were rude to me. I was treated like dirt everywhere I went. Part of me feels like it is because of my weight, and part of me feels like I was handed the Crap Stick when I was born.

“I’m sorry. I guess that is just the kind of person I am. I do appreciate it very much.”

Cassie grabbed the other bag from my trunk helping Donna carry it into the apartment. “Well, you are going to have to learn to accept kindness from other people without questioning it. Not everyone in the world is assholes.” Cassie had some words of wisdom. “Now, let’s get you inside.”

The building look like any other normal apartment complex. A ten story red brick building. “We are on the sixth floor. Room 54b.” Donna was giving me the quick tour. “When you come in, the mailroom is on the right. The door next to that is the stairs that leads to the basement. That is where the laundry room is located. Over here is where you can place your complaints.” On the wall was a wooden box that had a small hole on the top where paper could be slipped. “That thing is usually full.” Donna chuckled at his own joke. “When you come down this hall the elevator is on the right at the very end. Beside the elevator is the stairs. I suggest taking the stairs in the morning, because the elevator gets pretty busy since everyone is leaving to go to work or do whatever they do.”

Cassie pressed the red button and a loud ding let us know that the elevator door was opening. The silver door slid open revealing a man sitting on the floor playing a guitar. “Sarah, this is Elevator Man. He likes to stay in here to give people music to listen to while on the Elevator.”

“How you doing Miss Sarah?” Elevator man looked like a surfer who had been through the works. His long sun bleached hair was in a ponytail. His khaki shorts had holes and stains in most places. His poor shirt was barely hanging on by a thread.

“She is having a bad life.” Donna spoke up for me.

“Sorry to hear about that man.” Elevator Man softly played his guitar while humming. He shut his eyes, as if he was getting lost in the music. The elevator dinged alerting us that we had reached the sixth floor. “See you later.”

“G’night Elevator Man.” Donna and Cassie said it together in unison.

“Alright, when you get off of the elevator, you take a left. 54b will be the third door on the right.” As Donna opened the door I could feel the cool air from the apartment hit my face. “We like to keep it cold in here. It is nice when you come in from a long day at work.”

“This is going to be your new home for a while. So, welcome home Sarah.” Cassie opened his arms wide open initiating a hug. A giggled escaped my lips, because I just noticed his wig was a little crooked. “Come on girl, don’t leave me hanging. Hug me.” I wrapped my arms around him as he wrapped his around me. The feeling of having strong arms hold you was nice. For a brief second I felt safe and unaware of my surroundings, until he let go.

“I really do appreciate you letting me stay here. You have no idea how much this means to me.”

“Honey, we don’t offer just anyone to come into our apartment. We can see that you are a good person.” Cassie gave me a huge smile, but I could see in his eyes the pity he had for me. Not only could I see the pity, but somehow I could see hope. Hope that I was going to make it in life.

Hope that everything is going to be okay.

***Author’s Note***

Forgive me for being slow on posting. This week has been an extremely rough week on my family. I probably wouldn’t have posted so soon, if I hadn’t seen BrittanyBlake’s comment. Thank you J

Love and Kisses

To my Misters and Misses