Stare Me Down

Amy new that I was feeling down. She didn’t say a word all the way back to the apartment and all the way to the office. It was strange not hearing her talk. “Good luck Sarah. I will be across the street at that café waiting for you.” She walked away without saying anything else.

Donna was waiting for me at the door. “Hey honey, how has your day gone so far?”

“It’s been okay.” I didn’t want to say anything else, mostly because I didn’t want to start crying.

“Alright then. Our boss’s name is Samuel Hollington. You will call him Mr. Hollington. He can be a jerk sometimes, well most of the time. So, don’t take it to heart if he comes off rude. When you go into his office do not sit until he tells you to. Do not speak unless he asks you a question.” While Donna was relaying the information to me, we had walked up the stairs to the second floor. The building seemed high-tech, almost futuristic. Everything was either white, silver, or black.

“That is a lot of information to take in.” Cassie was sitting at a desk that was beside a huge black door, which I am assuming is Mr. Hollington’s office. Cassie had a phone pressed to his ear and he seemed to be deep in conversation.

“You will do fine. He isn’t in his office right now, but he told me to go ahead and send you in. He will be in soon. Just remember everything I told you.” Donna pressed a button and the door slid open like an elevator door.

I could feel the jitters building up inside of me as I walked into the office. The door closed behind me, scaring me to death. Book shelves lined the walls. No windows. That’s strange. If I was stuck in an office all day I would want to be able to look out a window at some point during the day. In the middle of the room was a large black desk that had a lamp and some folders on it, along with a laptop sitting on the corner. Behind the desk was a large office chair that looked extremely comfy. In front of the desk is two chairs that guests would sit in.

I wanted to go ahead and sit down, but Donna’s words came to mind, warning me not to sit down. My nerves were beginning to get the best of me. I turned to the nearest book shelf and began reading the spines of the books. One book caught my attention, Untold Stories of the Undead. My fingers itched to slide the book out and read its pages.

I was brought back to the real world when the door slid open to reveal a man dressed in a suit and tie. His dark hair is cut neatly so that the front is spiked up. The smell of cologne wafted my senses, almost knocking me off my feet. I wanted to take a huge whiff of the air, but I knew that it would look weird. I could feel his eyes piercing into me, looking me up and down, and judging me. He probably thinks I’m disgusting.

He said nothing. He just walked to his desk and sat in his chair, the entire time still looking at me. The silence was killing me. It was uncomfortable. It was awkward.

His stare felt so intense that I couldn’t even look at him. I could only look down at the floor. “Sit.” That voice, it could melt chocolate. Just that one word that escaped his lips felt as if it wrapped around my body and hugged me tight. It felt like magic, my body went straight to a chair and sat down without me having to think about it.

“Sarah Flowers.” I don’t know if I will be able to handle this interview. I’m going to fall to pieces if he keeps talking. I swear I heard a chuckle, but when I looked up he was still staring at me with the same intense look. I had to look back down from the uncomfortableness. “Gregory told me about how you came to New York.” I guess he doesn’t call him Cassie.

I’m not sure if I am supposed to talk. Donna said only speak when asked a question, and that wasn’t a question. But he is going to think that I am weird if I just sit here silent. This is the hardest interview I have ever been to.

“I can offer you a job, but you will have strict rules and guidelines to follow.” He opened up one of the folders that I had noticed sitting on his desk. “I wouldn’t do this for just anybody, but Gregory begged me.” I owe Cassie for the rest of my life. “I have a position open for someone who can run errands for me.” He began writing something down on a piece of paper in the folder. “Do you do well with directions?” Oh no, I have to talk now.

“Yes sir.” I could only get those to words out. His head shot up and he began staring at me even harder. If he keeps doing that, I am going to pee in my pants from being so scared.

“Very good. Jacob will have some paperwork for you. You will need to finish that in order to become an official employee of mine.” He stood up and walked to the door, pressing a button for the door to slide open. I took that as my cue to follow. “Jacob, make sure she finishes the paperwork. Then send her back in.” Mr. Hollington left me standing there at the desk that Cassie and Donna were sitting behind.

“That was horrible. I almost peed my pants.”

“Today is one of his good days.” Donna handed over some papers and a pen.

“I would hate to see a bad day.”

“He is scheduled for one tomorrow.” Cassie chuckled. “Lucky you, you get to start tomorrow.”

***Author’s Note***

She has finally met Samuel Hollington. YAY!!! Sorry it took so long. J

Love and Kisses

To my Misters and Misses