Hello or Hell No

During lunch I did most of the talking. Samuel would ask me a question and then I would try to answer the best I could. Most of the conversation was about my family and how they would treat me . Our meals had arrived thirty minutes after we ordered. Apparently Shrimp Ala Scoundrel meant two small shrimp, a few noodles, and some kind of Cajun seasoning. My heart sunk at the sight of the plate in front of me. I love food, and this right here wasn’t even considered a snack. I could finish off this meal in maybe four bites or less.

Did Samuel bring me here knowing that they serve small portions? Is he trying to make me lose weight to?

“What is wrong?” His eyes were focused on me. I guess he was trying to figure out what I was thinking. I can’t let him know that my heart just broke over the disappointment sitting in front of me.

“Nothing is wrong.” I cut the shrimp into smaller pieces. I can probably make it seem more satisfying if I eat it really slow.

“You are not a very good liar.” He leaned forward in his chair to get closer to me. “Tell me why it looks as if someone killed your puppy.”

“You will laugh.” I stated. Of course he will. The fat girl sad because she can’t have more food. Everyone would laugh.

“I can’t promise that I won’t, but I can try to refrain from laughing.” Such an honest answer, from such a terrifying man.

I hesitantly told him why I had become sad all of the sudden. “The…the portions…are extremely small.” I held my head down in shame. I didn’t hear him laugh, or even breathe out, I just heard silence on his side of the table. I jumped when I felt his hand lay upon my knee. 

“Look at me.” My head shot up, only to see that he had a strange look in his eyes. “You may be my assistant, but I also want you to be happy. If you are hungry, let me know. If you are tired, let me know. If you feel as if you need a haircut, let me know. I may be your boss, but I do care, Sarah.”

“Why? Why act like such a jerk, and then try to be so nice and say you care?” He tilt his head to the side, in thought about what I just said.

“As I said before, I like you. You are different from my other assistants. You intrigue me. You test my patience. You have brought something new to my office, and I have yet to figure it out. You make me second guess some of my choices. You, Sarah, have only been in New York for a few days, and you have already began changing the way I think. My life has become slightly boring these past several years, and then you show up and bring something new to the table.” This man had just completely shocked me. No one has ever said something like that to me. “Speechless?” I nodded. “Finish your wine while I pay, then we can go to McDonald’s to get you a more appetizing meal.” Samuel waived a finger in the air, and within seconds our waiter was at our table. Samuel handed the waiter his credit card, and the waiter walked off with it without saying a word. “If you will excuse me, I need to run to the restroom before we leave.” I watched Samuel’s figure disappear behind some curtains as he headed to the restroom.

I can’t believe that he said all of that to me. I’m not even sure what to think. My head was beginning to pound with a strong headache. I glanced towards the restrooms to make sure Samuel wasn’t coming back, and then I reached over the table and grabbed what was left of his wine and chugged it.

“Thirsty?” A deep and sexy voice interrupted my thoughts. Standing right beside me was an extremely good looking man. His dark eyes were fixated on me. Although he was good looking, there was something about him that screamed ‘run.’ “You must be Samuel’s new flavor of the week.” He sat down in Samuel’s seat.

“Excuse me?” I coughed while I choked on the wine that I had just chugged.

“His flavor of the week. He has a new one every seven days.” The man leaned back in the chair and became a little more relaxed. “I must say, I never thought of Samuel as a…thick loving man.” What in the hell did this man say to me?