Chapter Nine

This banner is so stunning, thank you Samantha_Leann for making this for me (: I love it!

If you guys want to send in your banners/fan art for Kael, my email is open!! Midika36@gmail.com

Word Count: 1718

~Jada

I startle so hard, whoever is in the other end of that voice loses their grip on me.

My senses are jumbled, knocked all over the place from the darkness. Seeing no other option, I run in whatever direction I can. I don't care about the bramble that catches around the hem of my pants. Nor do I care about the low hanging branches and twigs that snap in my face as I frantically run blindly in one direction.

Head first into a tree.

A flash of bright light in my vision blinds me for a moment. I stand still, gripping my hands to my head, waiting for the spike of pain to diminish.

A rumble of a laugh from behind me. "There are things we learn the hard way, don't we?"

Twisting around, I stare blindly into the darkness. My breathing is so rapid, I can hardly hear if the man in front of me is talking. Whoever they may be, there is a potential they are out here to kill me. Or...Or...

"I think you need to calm down."

Embarrassment is the first feeling. Followed by relief, which is soon consumed by dread. Alpha Kael found me. He saved me. This mission, that was supposed to involve me finding out something about Kael that no one else knew turned into him finding out I'm utterly incompetent at doing so. Especially in the darkness.

"I-I, I'm so sorry," I hear myself saying, wishing I could reverse every movement I made since climbing out that kitchen window.

A light flickers on, the harshness blinding my eyes for a moment. It's a small flashlight, that lights the entire area around us. It lets me see Kael, finally, standing on a few metres away from me. I'm sure I'm a mess. At least compared to him. He looks untouched, what he was wearing earlier not torn to rags by stray branches. His hair, even, swept back naturally.

"Why are you sorry?" he asks.

I blink a few times. "I followed you out here."

We watch each other. What am I doing here? He's the Alpha, and I just followed him into the woods without permission. I'm out of the competition, that much is certain. He might even kill me. Would he do that? Is that the kind of Alpha he is?

His gaze narrows on my forehead, all his concentration moving to that one spot. It was then, that I noticed warmth spill down my cheek and along my nose.

Blood.

"Oh no," I mutter, pulling my hand back to look at the crimson mess upon my fingertips. "I hit my head."

Kael goes to reach for me, but I shy away. If he is going to help me, then I don't want it. Not when my dignity is already slashed to pieces by my own stupidity. I just want to crawl back and never have to look at him in the eye again. Even if he does look nothing but concerned for what has happened.

"We need to get you back," he says sternly. "At least sit down for a moment, catch your breath."

To that, I listen. Sinking down to my haunches, I sit, cradling my head. The blood seems to be diminishing with time. It must only be a scratch, with a headache to follow from the initial impact.

"I've made such a mistake," I say, more to myself than Kael.

"Well, I can commend you on your effort," Kael says, his arms folding his over his chest. I watch the movement. Underneath that ebony coloured jacket of his, is muscles that have surely ended the life of many. At least that's what I assume, or have heard from rumours and read from school textbooks.