Chapter Twenty One

Word Count: 1637

~Jada

I couldn't move.

In sheer shock, I'm left staring at Alpha Kael's unconscious body slumped backward on the couch. His eyes are rolled back, his mouth parted, hopefully still taking in air. I'm unsure what to do, my entire body shaking in pure fear. What just happened? Is he still alive? I can see his chest moving slightly, but I'm not sure how long that is going to last.

Standing up, my legs feel as if they are going to collapse at any moment. If someone walks in, they are going to see my Alpha, looking as if I've injured him myself. A Silent would surely kill me in this moment.

I lean my ear over his mouth, hoping to hear his breathing. He still is, but barely, the sound low and soft.

Reaching out, I go to check for his pulse.

"Don't touch him," a sharp voice utters from the door. I whirl around, and Jake stands there, glaring at me. "If you leave any trace of yourself on him, people will catch you. The Silent's will. They have technology."

I place my hand over my heart, startled by Jake's brash approach. He steps into the room, looking around to make sure no one else is watching. His dark clothing looks stupid in such a beautiful room like this one. He looks stupid. This entire plan is stupid, and now we have an unconscious Alpha on our hands.

When Jake motions for me to follow him, I balk. "We can't just leave him here."

"Well, that's the whole point," he tells me, looking at me as if I'm absolutely stupid. I can hardly believe that he is being so careless about out Alpha, who just lays there, more vulnerable than I imagine he has ever been.

"Whole point?" I question. "You're insane."

Jake rolls his eyes at me, rushing around the room looking for more prohibited items that don't belong to us. This is bad, and I've just dug myself into a hole that if I get caught in, could mean prison life or the death sentence. Kael might look peaceful now, but I can't imagine him being so forgiving.

"Look, you should be thankful you're not in the same position as he is," Jake mutters, tucking down to shuffle through draws. He seems unsatisfied with what he finds, tossing papers back in.

It takes a few moments for what he's said to sink into my mind. "Wait, what do you mean by that? What did you do Jake?"

"I spiked the cupcakes."

I gape at him, unsure I heard him right at first. The more he stares at me, deadpan, I realise that this is no joke. With cupcake crumbs still lingering around Kael's lips, it's obvious no natural causes put him in this state. I just don't understand how he got passed me to slip the drug in.

"Why the hell did you think that was a good idea?" I growl, wanting to rip both mine and his hair out in frustration. We can't just drug our Alpha and get away with it. And for all Kael will know, I'm the only one involved.

"I couldn't trust that you would be able to distract him for as long as I needed you to," he explains. "And I knew if I asked you to deliver the cupcakes and leave you wouldn't agree."

I blink a few times.

Here I was thinking maybe I could trust Jake through this. That we would be able to figure this out and help Kael. And here we are, having drugged him and planning to leave him him be to wake up later. Actually, this is all on Jake.

"And what if I ate one of those cupcakes?" I question. Was Jake willing to leave me here to wake up with all the blame? Maybe that was his plan all along.