Chapter Fifteen

Word Count: 1645

~Jada

My first thought is I have to tell someone.

My second thought is questioning what I'm meant to do. It feels improper to be watching his scandalous act take place, but I'm so stunned on what to do. All I know is this shouldn't be happening. It is forbidden to have a relationship with a Silent or Trainer. And yet here I am, witnessing Baylee making out with Niko.

I have to interrupt. It might not be the best thing to do, but what if this is a mock situation? What if I'm meant to intervene and stop Baylee from getting eliminated? Is this my chance to protect her?

With all these questions needing to be answered, I can barely make sense of my thoughts. I'm a good person, and I good person wouldn't let something this unfair happen.

Right?

"Hey, what's going on?" I question, emerging from the shadows. I'm without any weapons or any means to protect myself if Niko's next motivation was to turn against me. If this is a simulation like I'm hoping it is, that should be how he reacts.

Instead, they both pull away from each other as if I set a fire in between them. Baylee looks at me with wide eyes, clothes frumpled, lips swollen, cheeks crimson red with shame and embarrassment. Niko simply takes a few steps away, as if he could simply leave the situation and i would forget he was involved.

"What are you doing here?" Baylee hisses, as if I was the one illegally making out with a Silent.

I'm stunned. "What are you doing here?"

Baylee looks back at Niko, who has his back facing us. I glare at him, wishing he could see my face. I'm disgusted, that he is taking advantage of competitors this early into the competition. And now he won't even face what he has done...

"We were just...talking," Baylee says, rubbing the back of her neck. Does she think I didn't see exactly what just went on. "I had a few questions about the competition and our current task."

"You should get back to the halls," I tell her slowly.

I'm both shocked and confused, and can't for the life of me sort through my thoughts. As I know Baylee, she didn't seem like the kind of girl who would do this. Either she is truly interested in Niko - which I wouldn't blame her - or she is trying to get ahead of the rest of us in this competition.

"Don't tell me what do to," she snaps, which I suppose to some extent I deserve. "I can do whatever I want."

Baylee moves past me, making a show of pushing against my shoulder, knocking me back a few steps. I watch her storm off, luckily towards the halls. I don't follow her right away. She needs space right now. Who knows how she might react if she finds out I'm protecting her.

Niko turns around, eyes dark and sinister. I brush it off as the shadows playing around with the night, but I'm not so sure. With the expression on his face alone, I want to turn around and run for my life.

"You won't tell anyone about this," he says slowly, voice hushed, anxious someone else might hear. "If you know what's good for you."

A threat.

He walks past me and back into the building, leaving me with nothing but a chill down my spine. Is he going to get me kicked out of the competition? He surely has the authority to do so. And if he makes up a lie and tells Kael, then I'm done. That means I have to play just as dirty as him. That's what Silent's do, right?

It's just, how am I supposed to do that...

As if an angel above, perhaps Fate, perhaps Millicent had been listening to my silent thoughts, I spotted a figure across the field. Quite far from me, but I know immediately who would be dwelling out here at this time of night.