Chapter Forty Four

Word Count: 1786

~Jada

It feels good to have no worries.

Kael and I had a swim in the sea and a walk down the beach as the sun began to set. As dusk falls me, we moved to a restaurant on the beach. It's surprisingly busy here, people laughing and talking amongst each other as they drink and eat. Everything here feels so calm, the people enjoying themselves with no worries on their shoulders.

Naturally, everyone stares blatantly at Kael, whispering between each other as they try to decipher whether Kael is actually the Alpha of the Discipline Pack or not. Luckily, no one comes up to him to ruin our meal.

"This place is so nice," I comment once Kael and I got our drinks. He sits opposite me, looking incredible. His skin his glowing under the lights above us, his dark eyes warm and twinkling.

"It's a facade."

"What do you mean facade?" I question, nearly choking on the water I was sipping. Facade? This place looks so easy going, the people here polite having not even come up to Kael yet. No one seems to have a problem in this place. What could you have a problem with in this place? Beautiful beaches and warm water. It's paradise.

Kael looks around, lowering his voice to not attract attention from neighbouring tables. "There's a few political issues going on at the moment. Isaiah is having issues with a part of his Pack. There's an uprising."

"Why?" I question. If anyone is to know what is going on here, it's an Alpha like Kael. At the Alpha meeting every month, they must go over what is happening here.

"There's multiple reasons."

It seemed Kael was eager not to speak of this considering everyone around us is surely conscious of the way we are talking to each other. Luckily, the waiter came over to take our orders for dinner, which left those around us disinterested. I don't blame them for being so curious, though. It's not often you come across an Alpha in from another Pack in your own.

Once dinner came and we ate, Kael excused himself to the bathroom, leaving me sitting alone at the table. I'm quite content, listening to the subtle beat of music in the background, and the casual lull of speech around me.

That's when I hear speech from the table opposite me. "Do you think that's Alpha Kael's mistress? I bet she was the one who made him come here."

I had to force myself not to whirl around.

"She must be. I've never heard of Kael having any love interest until now. She's pretty, but I would never have assumed she was his type," I hear another voice reply. It's a couple, I believe, gossiping about me as if I wouldn't be able to hear a word they can say. My hands clench my cutlery, but still, I don't turn around.

"He will get over it soon. All Alpha's are like that, aren't they? They use girls until they are over it, and then they move onto the next," the girl complains under her breath. I fume, considering she knows nothing about Kael, or me.

Deciding I can't listen anymore, I whirl around. "Do you two mind? Alpha Kael is actually my mate, so I would appreciate you not speaking about me like that."

The pair simply stare at me, gaping.

The entire restaurant goes quiet, looking at me and my bold announcement. I doubt anyone in here believes me, as I turn around, slumping back in my chair. I'm embarrassed, my face flushing. Where is Kael? I want him to come back in here and explain to these people that I'm not simply a mistress. That I mean something to him, and that we are mated.