Chapter Thirteen

Love this banner so much LauraIshAnime  thank you for sending it in!

If you guys want to send in your banners/fan art for Kael, my email is open!! Midika36@gmail.com

Word Count: 1569

~Jada

I'm not looking forward to today.

Last night, I was left staring at the ceiling until some ridiculous hour of the night. I couldn't get Kael out of my head. This morning I woke cursing myself. I know I'm not allowed to be thinking about him like I am. I'm here to become a Silent, where my job will be to protect and serve him. Nothing more.

But is that why I dreamt about him last night? It may have only been fleeting, but it was all him. Those dark, sultry eyes...tall stature...soft, rousing voice.

I need help.

Everyone seems as anxious as I am. Aside from Parker, who is finding entertainment in harrassing Shana. I ignore them both, joining everyone else in worrying about what today will entail.

We'll be finding out what our next challenge will be. After last time, none of us can predict what Kael and Niko have decided will happen today.

I'm just hoping I don't see Kael today.

As usual, Niko had us line up in front of him, not letting anything slip on what his plans are until we were in our position. I'm glad Kael isn't with him today, perhaps dealing with other pertinent Alpha issues, or maybe with another group of competitors. I often forget this group isn't the only one.

"As you know, the group is slightly smaller now after your first assignment," Niko says, noting the absence of Ciera. "After this week, it will be two of you going home, rather than one."

Everyone stills, unsure of what to make of that. Having worse odds of staying the competition isn't going to make anyone feel safer. Although, I'm sure that's what Niko wants. For everyone to get anxious, to step out of line and to do something foolish. Or maybe even turn against each other.

"Being a Silent entails protecting an asset. This can be done in a variety of ways, that cannot be taught. They are instincts that only the best Silent's have," Niko informs us, pacing in front everyone methodically, taking time to look us each in the eye.

Something about Niko makes me nervous, that I just can't put my finger on. It's starting to bother me, but I would never question his legitimacy. Not if I want to get out of this alive.

"This week, your will be assigned a partner again, and it will be your job to protect them against any threat. Successfully do so, and you'll surely have a chance to stay in the next stage of the competition. If you fail, your partner will also fail, and you will both be send home," Niko tells us.

"That's not fair," Shana snaps.

There are murmurs of agreement, but Niko seems hardly fazed by this, waiting patiently for everyone to quiet down before he next speaks. "This competition isn't set to be fair. It's set for those to win who want to do so desperately. Understand?"

No one complains after that. Niko hands out an envelope to everyone, and sends us back to our rooms. Not after telling us our protector and protected must no nothing about each other. I was walking back to my room when something caught my eye. Something that had chills instantly moving up my back.

From a distance, I see someone watching me.

The moment they notice me staring back at them, they turn away, walking back down the path and disappearing behind a building. I struggled to pick up any overwhelming features about them. Just a tall, slender figure watching me.