Chapter Forty Eight

Word Count: 1568

~Jada

It was almost like looking in a mirror.

When have the same green eyes, the same hair. It's so jarring, for a moment I'm stunned, stumbling back a few steps as I eye her skeptically. There is no denying I'm related to her, and that she is the woman in my nightmares who raised me, who hid me from Kael's father's power, and was supposedly sent to the prisons where she was executed privately, along with my father.

Yet, here she is, standing in front of me as if all the grief I spent dealing with in my childhood was all for nothing. Did Axel know my mother was alive all this time, and didn't tell me? I'm not sure why I'm questioning his morals now...

I reach out, touching her shoulder, testing to see if she is actually real. She doesn't accept that, pulling me into an embrace.

And it feels right. She is definitely my mother.

"I don't understand," I say, pulling away from her. She looks at me, somewhat solemn. People walk out of their houses around us, wondering what the Alpha they despise so much is doing in their area. Kael simply stands and watches the exchange between my mother and I, wondering what is going on.

"What are you doing here Jada? Why are you with the Alpha?" she asks, as if that is the most important question that needs answering. Even her voice is the same from when I was a child. I'm not sure how it is supposed to make me feel.

Kael is giving me space, but I motion for him to come closer, to face my mother also. "This is Kael. He's my mate. That's why he is here."

All the colour drains from her face.

Kael seems to catch on much quicker than me, as I look at her, dumbfounded as to why she isn't elated that I found my mate at such a young age. He grabs my hand, speaking to my mother in his calm, Alpha voice. "We met recently when she participated in a programme of mine. We came here to look for my mother, but I guess we found Jada's."

His smile and chuckle doesn't seem to charm my mother. Her burning hatred for Kael's lineage has been around since I was a young girl, and by her reaction, it doesn't look as though that has faded. Perhaps it's gotten worse...

"Your mother doesn't want to see you. Get out of here you vile creature," she snaps. I flinch at her tone, but Kael doesn't seem bothered.

He's dealt with worse.

"I know she doesn't want to see me, but I want to see her. And as far as I know, your daughter believed you were executed, so why don't you explain yourself," he says firmly. I never expected him to be so forward with my mother, but he is right she should be explaining why she never tried to get in contact with me.

Her jaw clenches, as she looks at me, before motioning for me to follow her. By the way she casts a poisonous look at Kael, he's not invited. I turn around to look at him. "Go find your mother."

He nods, so I follow my mother. She leads me to a small house not far from where Kael is. It's not the home I grew up in, which causes disappointment I try to ignore.

I'm glad I don't live here, though.

"How did you end up here?" I question, as I step up onto her porch. It's a small home - practically a hut - looking disturbingly run down. Maybe Kael would be able to get her accommodation elsewhere that's not in this dump. I wonder if all these people around her exclusively are against the Alpha.

"After I got out of prison, this is where I came. The people here were welcoming, and care about the same things I do," she tells me, once we take a seat on her outdoor furniture. And by that, she means people who share her hatred. People who are uneducated, clearly.