Chapter Ten

This banner is so magical, I love it so much! Thank you so much LauraIshAnime for making this for me (:

If you guys want to send in your banners/fan art for Kael, my email is open!! Midika36@gmail.com

Word Count: 1778

~Jada

Finding an excuse for why my face is cut and bruised isn't coming to my mind as easily as I had hoped.

A first aid kit I had found underneath the bed is a blessing. A smear of antiseptic cream and a plaster strapped over wound is all I can do. The bruises, which surround both my eyes, and part of my forehead, a dark mess of blue and purple, have no hope of being hidden. And at this point, no hope of being explained.

Naturally, at breakfast, it was Parker who pointed it out.

"Someone is desperate to win this competition," he says, sliding into a seat next to me. I have no patience for Parker. He seems pretentious and almost everything he says can be seen right through. I don't think I'm the desperate one.

Sighing deeply, I place my toast back on the plate, reluctantly giving him my attention. "Aren't we all, Parker?"

"Nasty battle wound," he says, that grin manifested from constant compliments about his straight, white teeth. Reaching up with prying fingers, he gets so close, he almost touches the surface of my plaster. But not before I smack his hand away, which he recoils back against him.

"Careful, and you'll have one too," I snap, pulling the collar of my shirt closer against my face.

He laughs, an animated sound that I assume is to attract others to this conversation. I'm not sure why he is obsessing over the cut above my brow, and the bruising. Unless of course, he saw me sneak out last night...No, he can't have. Surely he would have brought it up already.

"Is that a threat?" he questions.

"That depends," I say with a light shrug. Slowly, I shift my gaze to him, and how he faces me with his entire body. "If you think you're my target, you should back off. Unless you want the rules broken, and for to get kicked out of this competition."

I'm not sure if it was my threat, or my tone of voice that faltered the beam in Parker's smile. Either way, he slid a little further away from me.

"Alright, I get it," he says. "Calm down."

If he is looking for an apology, he doesn't stick around long enough to get one. Not that I was offering one. Parker is in to win it, and by his approach, is going to be aggressive about it. I can't blame him for it. However, I'm not going to play nice. Not now.
I have to concentrate on what is important. Today, I'm meeting with Kael. If it doesn't go well, then I might be out of this competition. After last night, he seems fairly forgiving, although I can't confirm that until today. It only makes me more nervous. Not only do I have an objective, but I'm relying on an intimidating Alpha who I know nothing about.

Parker pushes away from the table, going to sit elsewhere. He should count himself lucky. His objective is nowhere near as difficult as mine.

***

I was sitting at my desk, considering how I was going to get to Kael's estate, when someone knocked sharply on my door.

Pulling back the door, I see Niko.

"We have a request for your presence at the Alpha's manor," Niko says slowly, as if he can hardly believe he's saying this. "I'm here to escort you, as competitors, in most cases, are not prohibited to enter his property."