Chapter Fourteen

Word Count: 1561

~Jada

I freeze. They freeze.

I'm not sure what is worse. Being caught rifling through someone's stuff, or being the one to catch a stranger doing so. Especially when by the looks of them, they are a Silent. And a Silent I've seen before too. Those eyes are tied to a night not too long ago, that I would like to forget.

It's the Silent that interrogated me that night. Who made me admit what I've been keeping to myself. It was part of his job, however, I swear I unmistakably saw him feel some kind of pity for me. I saw it in his eyes.

But why in the world is he sitting in my room right now?

He doesn't seem defensive right away. I assume he has been caught in more questionable situations as a Silent working for the Alpha, so I simply wait for him to say something. I have nothing to hide in here, since none of it is my personal belongings. But still, I'm taken aback to why someone has broken into my room.

"I thought you were going to protect your partner," he says blandly, no sense of regret or urgency to explain himself.

I'm bewildered, unsure of how I should respond. "Well I'm here now."

His gaze casts down to the shirt of mine that he is holding. It's a limp cotton one to be worn around the halls when no physical activity is required. I make a mental note to never wear that one again.

"It seems so," he says slowly. He seems more regretful that I interrupted him, rather than embarrassed that I caught him. And he doesn't seem quick to leave, or even apologise. "I suppose I should probably go then."

Reality seems to get more broken as each word comes out of his mouth. Should I call for help? I mean, who would come help me against a trusted Silent, whose name I don't even know. All I know is he has a gaze of pure azure. Bluer than anything I've seen, that leave me confused. For a reason I cannot fathom, there is something eerily familiar about him.

"Why are you in here. Who even are you?" I question.

He seems to be eyeing where I block the entrance. If he leaves now, I will never figure out why this strange occurrence has taken place. Especially since he is not jumping to the chance to be honest with me.

"I'm just doing a routine check," he says smoothly, no hinder in his tone. "It's imperative the safety of students here is managed. I'm just checking to ensure you're not hiding any prohibited items."

Speechless at my own stupidity, I nod slowly. Of course that's why he is here. How could I be so stupid? If anyone was harbouring drugs here, it could alter how the course of the competition goes, and Alpha Kael will be the one to suffer from it later. So doing a check of everyone's room shouldn't surprise me at all.

"Oh..." I say, watching him place the shirt back into the draw. "I didn't know anything like that was happening tonight."

Something ticks in the back of my mind. Suspicion. He may not have felt guilty looking through my things to begin with, but it sure did seem odd. The way he smiles tightly at me, and brushes past, not saying another word to me. Silently, I watch him stride down the hallway, disappearing around a corner.

Once I'm sure he is gone, I dart into my room, slamming the door behind me.

Digging my hands through my hair, I look around my room. If only Ace was here to protect me against that. Without thinking twice, I look through all my things, but nothing is disturbed, aside from a few items of clothing wrinkled from prying hands. He must have pulled them up to check I wasn't concealing anything.