Chapter Twenty Five

Word Count: 1569

~Jada

Cruel.

Cruel was the first word that came to mind once those words left his mouth. Initially, there was no way I was about to believe him. As far as I was aware, we aren't even halfway through competition, so with him saying that, I assumed immediately this is some kind of test to gauge my reaction.

As serious as Kael is, I wouldn't put it past him to use this as a test against us all. Swallowing uncomfortably, I lean back in my chair, refusing to look affected by this. I can't believe him, and I won't believe him.

When I don't react, a small smile comes across Kael's features, and I'm sure in that moment that I've cracked him. He can't convince me of something to ridiculous.

"You don't believe me, do you?"

Crossing my arms over my chest, I look at him as if he's crazy. He is foolish for thinking he could trick me, considering how many are left in the competition. There is no way each and every one of us will be offered a position as a Silent. And after what has happened recently, I see no reason why Kael would want me out of all of the other competitors.

"The competition isn't over," I say flatly, letting him know I'm not say easily fooled. Perhaps this is a test to see how gullible we may be. I clearly aced it. "I'm assuming this is just another test of yours."

Kael slowly shakes his head, still amused by my reaction. "I'm not lying to you. I've decided you've won."

I blink. "Not possible."

Kael motions for me to pull the strange contraption off my head that has me attached to the lie detector, and I do so, glad to have the weight off my shoulders. He then stands, and I follow suit, knowing I have no other choice. Hopefully all the questioning is over and he has accepted I passed his test.

As we walk to the door, Kael holds it open for me. "I'm the Alpha, you know. I can decide who wins whenever I please."

Instead of leading me back down the hallway where I came from, he lead me the other way. He doesn't say anymore, letting whatever he is about to show me speak for itself. Doubt about whether this is real or not seeps into my mind.

I can't have won...Right?

The building leads off into another seperate area, hidden behind a door Kael has to unlock before entering. It feels dark and forbidden following the Alpha into a restricted area, however, he isn't stopping me, and clearly whatever is beyond is going to prove whether this is a test, or if Kael is telling the truth.

We are in another gymnasium like area like the main one we have been using throughout the competition, accept this one is much smaller and intimate and the equipment in here is more advanced than I've ever seen.

A few people are scattered around the room that I don't recognize immediately. That is, until I meet the striking gaze of Blue, one of the Silent's.

I shiver.

Each of these Silent's I've only seen briefly. Most of them work with other groups within the competition. They all look awfully casual, as if they haven't reported to work this morning with the rest of the competitors. They all stare at me, scrutinizing me beyond belief. I wish I could just turn around and walk out of here.

"Jada here doesn't believe she won the competition," Kael announces to the group, smiling as if it's the funniest idea in the world that I can't possibly believe him.

Blue looks at me. "Welcome to the family."

"I didn't expect this test to go this far, but this is ridiculous. I know this isn't real," I tell them firmly, folding my arms over my chest. Even as I say these words, doubt has crept in. I can't imagine how I would get selected to be a Silent when Kael hardly knows me. He hardly knows how capable I am; especially physically. For all he knows, I'm only good at following people into dark forests in the depths of night.