Chapter Thirty Two

Word Count: 1850

~Jada

Axel paid me no mind the next morning.

We packed up all our belongings and started our walk again. Axel didn't come near me, and I didn't come near him. He walked at the front of the group and I stuck to the back, trying to think of how to deal with this. Should I tell someone and get him removed from the Silent's, or should I keep it to myself?

It doesn't seem right to tell Kael about it. He sacrificed everything for me. I might not agree with why he did it, and how he feels now about me, but I can't have his entire career taken from me because of a crush.

I look at him up front as we walk. His head is down, staring at his feet. Everyone around us is oblivious to what happened last night. It's decided.

I'll just avoid him.

We were walking through the brush, pushing it out of our faces when suddenly something hit my ankle from behind, making me stumble forward and nearly fall. I manage to catch myself on the bough of a tree last minute.

When I turn around, a few Silent's whose names I don't remember are snickering.

I keep walking, realising they were trying to trip me. They do it again, but I keep my mouth shut. When I look at the front, I see Kael notice, but he doesn't say anything.

We keep walking.

Luckily, the rest of the walk today was shorter than past days. We managed to make it to the institute by mid afternoon, everyone finally collapsing on the front lawn while I was too fascinated by what I was looking at. This is the facility that has been hidden from the public for so long. I want to explore immediately, but I know I can't.

It's not as old as I assumed it would be, looking as if it was build in the past year. It stands tall within the trees, the grounds surrounded by a tall concrete fence. If anyone were to stumble upon it there is no way they would be able to get in.

I shove my back off my shoulders as Kael speaks. "Welcome everyone. Past Silent's, you all know your rooms. Go back and rest for today. Ace and Jada, you stay here so I can give you your room numbers."

We watch the others gratefully walk away.

"How are you two feeling?" Kael asks, looking between us. I glance at Ace. We both look worse for wear, beaten from the difficult three days. I hope Kael will give us a room soon so I can shower then collapse into bed.

"Could be better," Ace mutters.

"Your room will be in the left wing. Number 31. I've given you some space from the other Silent's for awhile, however, there's a common room in that wing if you would like to socialize in free time," Kael tells him. He quickly points the side of the building Ace will be staying in. Ace quickly runs to catch up with other Silent's going there.

I turn around, looking back at Kael, ready for him to tell me where my room is. "So, where's the glorious place I'll be sleeping?"

I'm not sure what the condition of this place will be on the inside, but from the outside, it looks remarkable. It's sleek and modern, meaning maybe the furnishings in my room will be too.

"Somewhere special," Kael notes. "Follow me."

I do so, letting him lead me across the main gardens. The front lawn is a surprisingly large expanse, where I assume a lot of fitness training will take place. We approach the building, which isn't as abandoned as I thought it would be. It seems people still work and live here even while the competition is going on. Fascinating.