Chapter Nineteen

Word Count: 1519

~Jada

I shouldn't agree to this.

Jake is a strange kid, and I know that. Like me, he has discovered he wants more from this competition than to win it. He wants to know about the Alpha he could potentially be serving, like me. However, I've never gone about sneaking into his estate. I've been very obvious about what I've been doing.

Problem is, I promised Kael I wouldn't no longer pursue anything but this competition. He hasn't written back, and I cannot be sure he even got it and read it, but I can't possibly go back on it...

"Listen, this is bad," I say, rubbing the back of my neck. "I can't agree to that."

Jake's eyes instantly widened behind his thick rimmed glasses. If I go and tell something to Blue, he will have him immediately taken from this competition. Not only that, but he will most likely be prosecuted in a court of law. And sneaking into an Alpha's home is inexcusable.

"Come Jada, you can't tell anyone. They will kill me," he insists. He gets out of bed, standing over me. He is unnervingly tall and lanky, but I doubt he would strike out at me. Not if he wants me to keep my mouth shut.

I shake my head at him. "I can't explain it, but I can't have any further relation to the Alpha."

Jake looks visibly confused, but doesn't question it.

For a moment, he doesn't say anything brushing past me. Catching a glance of myself in his wall mirror, I feel stupid dressed up like this, so I tug my face cloth off, and pull the hood off my head. Jake knew who I was the moment he put his glasses on, which completely foiled my entire plan.

Turning around, I watch Jake rustle through his draws before he picks up a screwed up piece of paper that has now been smoothed out. The writing on it is messy and scrawled on quickly.

"I found this when I snuck in. I didn't grab much because I was in and out for the most part," Jake explains to me. "I found this screwed up on the floor, so I grabbed it, assuming it had fallen out of Kael's pocket, or one of his Silent's. And let me tell you, I'm glad I grabbed it."

Staring at it skeptically, I shake my head. "That's contraband."

If Jake gets caught with that, he will have no hope of getting out of trouble. It makes me shy away, not even wanting to get my fingerprints on it.

"Trust me, you want to see this," he tempts.

I stare at it, debating what could be so interesting about it. Kael doesn't need to know if I did read it, and I doubt it will make much of a difference in his life. Hell, he could send his Silent's to kill us in the middle of the night to ensure we never spoke another word again. Either way, my goal is still to learn about the Alpha. Something about him intrigues me more than it should...

"What's it about?" I ask warily, taking in between my fingers. Whatever he was writing, he wasn't wasting any time doing so.

"Read," Jake prompts.

Mother,

I can't send this. I can't.

You've never gotten any of my letters before, so why would you get his one? But maybe you have, and you just send them right back without reading them. Because you don't even care about your son anymore.

Regardless, I have to write down how I feel. I have to wish you would see this. I just want you to know I'm never going to stop looking for you. Ever.

Dad is gone now. You don't have to worry about him. It's safe here.

Please come home. You know it isn't in me to give up on someone I love. Just please, at least tell me where you are, or that you're safe. None of my Silent's have gotten a trace of you. It's breaking my heart.