Chapter Forty

Word Count: 1594

~Jada

None of us had another choice.

Sinful has some kind of magical grip on me I cannot escape. He is going to take me away with or without Kael. I should have known how serious he was about me not seeing Kael when he told me, but I couldn't help it. He must have somehow known we were mates, and were trying to keep me from finding out.

"You don't have to do anything stupid Sinful, I'll come with you. Just leave Jada behind, she doesn't need to come," Kael tells him calmly, looking between both me and the Immortal. Sinful doesn't seem too impressed by his reasoning.

I shiver as Sinful's soft fingertips run gently down the side of my cheek before wrapping a strand of my hair around his finger.

"No, I think I want her to come."

Kael gritted his teeth. I can see the shift in his eyes, as he realises he doesn't have another choice. Sinful's hand drifts down to my lower back, and I shiver. I can feel his power, and no just what is streaming through my veins right now. He isn't like any other immortal. There is something more to him.

"Fine," Kael mutters, defeated. He steps forward, surrendering himself to Sinful. There is no more teasing or taunting, as Sinful grabs us both, and the world suddenly falls out from under me. It's a feeling I've felt with him before, but it still leaves me lightheaded.

When the world starts building itself around me again, I stumble over my feet, but Sinful grabs my arm, holding up, even as my legs crumble.

And then, I can see where we are.

I've never seen a place like this in my life. I can immediately sense this place is immortal, magic drifting around me the moment I open my eyes. We all stand in front of a large window, looking out at a view I would never find in the mortal world. Mountain peaks for miles stretch out in front of me, all capped in pure white snow.

Perhaps I could have enjoyed it more if the implications for seeing it weren't so horrid. Even if the sight of a the dark sky and glittering stars in the sky is beyond beautiful. It's a facade that these poisonous immortals hide behind. The beauty of the environment.

"Can I invite you both to dinner with me?" Sinful asks graciously, as we turn around to face him. He has magically changed out of nowhere, wearing a silk dress shirt threaded with violet.

He's a man of illusion.

I exchange glances with Kael, seeing he is as dumbfounded as I am. I'm not sure how he could ever consider trusting Sinful, however, I can't blame him. Immortals are sneaky and manipulative. I might not fully know why we are here, but I have a feeling one of us has been played by him.

"What have you done?" Kael questions, refusing to move in his spot. He has reached out, grabbing my waist, trying to protect me in case Sinful were to do anything more. I'm just grateful his magic hasn't stopped me from moving again.

"Nothing we can't talk about over dinner," Sinful says smoothly, motioning for us to follow him. "I'm not sure why you want to leave so quickly."

I hate the way he is teasing us.

Knowing we aren't going to get anything out of Sinful like this, we decide to follow his own rules, and follow him. He leads us what I assume is his house, which is beyond impressive. With vaulted ceilings and wide glass windows showing off the mountains around us at all times, I can't help but be mesmerised by it all.

Sinful leads us into a large dining room, which is closed off from the view of the mountains. For a moment I miss it, until I realise it is probably some kind of magical glamour that is attracting me to it.