The Kill

~ The Kill ~

Robin had pinned her down, a bat-a-rang to her throat. She gritted her teeth, feeling the blade dig into her soft flesh. A low hiss escaped her lips.

"Justice not vengeance. Justice not vengeance," a familiar voice chanted. The whites of his mask gone since his eyes were closed. "Justice not vengeance." Could it be? Daire dared to wondered. Was it him? But that was not something her brother would say. Her determined little brother wouldn't hesitate to kill. Not like her. "Justice not vengeance."

He backed off, the bat-a-rang still in his hand. Batman stood behind him.

"Good job, Robin."

"Dami?" the assassin whispered, catching the duo's attention. "Is it really you?"

Robin froze, recognizing the gentleness of the voice. His mind raced, taking longer than he would have like to place the voice. It had been far too long since he'd seen her, heard her, felt her love. She was always so kind to him, so gentle. And what had he done? Betrayed her. Would she be happy to see him? Angry? Sad? Disappointed? Or maybe proud of the change in him. He had worked so hard to be like his Father for her.

"Dami? Please, is it really you." Without thinking, the girl tore her mask off, revealing deep green eyes.

"Dai? Sister?" Robin murmured.

After a moment of silence, the two crashed into each other, holding onto their sibling for dear life.

"It's really you!" the assassin wept, squeezing the boy to her.

"I thought- I thought-" the boy struggled for words.

"How are you alive?" his sister questioned, scanning him for any injuries. She took off his mask, staring into his eyes.

This confused the boy. "Alive? Of course I'm alive."

"Mother told me the Batman killed you. She told me you were dead."

He blinked. "Sister, Father didn't kill me. Father would never-"

"But Mother told me he helped Deathstroke kill Grandfather. When you went after them to honor him, Batman killed you."

"I don't kill," the bat himself stated.

The girl ignored him, her hand cupping her brother's check. Having missed the warmth, the boy leaned into the loving touch.

"I missed you," he whispered, eyes closed.

"I've missed you, too, Dami." Once again, they hugged, clinging to the other.

"I thought you left," he murmured in her shoulder.

"I did, but Mother came to me. She said you asked her to find me, to give me a second chance. She said you wanted me to take your place as heir. She said to avenge you, I would have to kill the Batman."

The boy shook his head, pulling back. "Father didn't kill me. He's never hurt me. The ways of the League are wrong; Mother is wrong. You were right, Dai. You were right."

Batman stood awkwardly to the side. He had never seen his son so emotional, so attached. He wondered who the girl was. She wasn't his, was she? She was slightly taller than Robin, but they were still children. Talia never mentioned Damian having a sister, let alone a twin. Were they twins? They looked alike, but they were siblings, so that didn't say much.

Looking closer, he doubt she was his. Though she looked a lot like Damian, she had none of his features. Similar nose and cheekbones, sure, but not exact. They weren't Talia's either. She obviously inherited her mother's hair and had the same eyes as Damian.