The Family Business

~ The Family Business ~

"So?" Bruce prompted, watching the girl test the movement in her new uniform. It was mostly black with highlights of brown and deep blue on her chest, outer arms and legs. She had a surprisingly heavy, bright yellow utility belt around her waist. A domino mask covered her eyes, and she had a black cloak that fell to her mid-calves. Her hair was tied into a low ponytail, sloppily pulled into a baggy bun. Her boots were an old pair from the original Robin's. They looked relatively new, and it turns out Grayson hit a growth spurt soon after getting them. All in all, the outfit fit her.

"It suits you well, Miss Daire."

"Uh, thank you."

"Yes, you don't look bad," complimented Damian. It wasn't the best, but Bruce let it slide. He was trying.

"Thanks, Dami." She glanced in the mirror for a split second, but otherwise fought to keep her gaze away from the reflection. Bruce didn't fail to notice this. "It fits." She swung her torso side to side, her feet planted firmly on the ground, then did a back hand spring. "It's flexible." She pulled out her katana, swinging it through the air with a shout. "It doesn't hinder my attacks." She sheathed her blade, turning to Bruce. "It works."

"Do you like it?"

"It works."

"But do you like it?"

"Yes."

His hand went to the com in his ear. "You hear that, Nightwing? You did a good job on the suit."

"Tt," the siblings sighed in unison.

"We still have a few hours before dark. Want to train?"

"Best two out three?"

"You're on!"

oOoOoOoOoOoOo

It was Daire's first patrol as Sparrow. Like she did as Thorne, she kept up with the Dark Knight and his partner with ease.

The night was rather slow. They stopped a break in, ended a few muggings, prevented an assault, and helped people escape a small building fire.

As the final victim was brought to safety, the Bat signal followed the sky.

Batman glared up at the sky, stalking toward the police station without warning. His partners followed wordlessly. They jumped from rooftop to rooftop, making a beeline to meet Commissioner Gordon.

Until they were cut off.

A figure landed in front of the trio, a knife in hand. The figure didn't say a word, going straight for the attack. Batman easily deflected the blade. The man was trained, however, and stepped straight into his next attack.

Robin jumped in, letting out his battle roar and attempting to overwhelm his opponent. But the man matched him strike for strike.

"Die, child."

Finally getting a one-up on Robin, he went for the kill.

"No!" Sparrow shrieked, blocking the swipe with a bat-a-rang. She stepped between the fighters, grabbing his wrist and twisting. He dropped the blade and fell when Sparrow hit the back of his knee.