The Pair

~ The Pair ~

Damian was seldom away from Daire. They trained together, studied together, ate together, and often ended up sharing a bed. Everyone assumed that was Daire's doing. She disliked having her brother out of sight. But Tim overheard Damian asking Daire if they could stay together, even at night. Now, maybe it was because he knew Daire would have asked anyways, but it wasn't like Damian to ask such a thing.

Damian was still stuck up, egotistical, and a know-it-all. Daire had her moments when she was similar, but she was also kind and patient.

She was quick to open up to Dick, something that was of no surprise to anyone. They spared together regularly, and Daire often waited near the front door for when he would make the drive over. He was thrilled to have a sister.

Alfred was always around, letting Daire get used to his presence rather quickly. She quickly deemed him not a threat but typically kept her distance.

Tim and Jason were in and out of the manor. Jason quickly took on the role of annoying big brother, picking on the duo every chance he got. He would visit for a few days then stay away for a few days. He was mad at Bruce, that much Daire could tell, but had a soft spot for Alfred. His attitude towards Damian was iffy. He loved to pick on him. He could be patient, though. During training he was tough but not overbearing. He had a temper, much like Damian, and got angered easily.

Tim was difficult. Sometimes he was exactly like Bruce- making her weary- and other times he was a combination of Dick and Jason: friendly and teasing. Much like Jason, Tim was away from the manor a lot. When he was around, he made some intellectual and decent conversations for someone his age. Overall, Daire decided she didn't mind his presence.

It was Bruce who took the longest to get on her good side. Despite knowing what her mother told her was a lie and having her brother beside her as proof, she acted as though she couldn't trust him. Bruce didn't trust her much, either (though that was typical), so he didn't have much room to complain.

Little was known about Daire. Just like Damian and the League of Assassins, there was hardly any info about her. All Bruce knew was what Damian had revealed. She was Talia's daughter, Damian's half sister, had morals similar to his own (which explained why Damian was so compliant with the sudden change in teachings), and was kicked out of the League for refusing to kill.

Bruce could find little about her time away from the League. City cameras caught a few glimpses of her in various places throughout the world. She spent a while under a false identity, where she worked as a waitress and lived an honest life. She had a few acquaintances, maybe some she considered friends. But one day, she disappeared. Day Ivan was still on the missing persons' list, but no one was looking for the loner.

oOoOoOoOoOoOo

Bruce watched them spar. Her tactics were much like Damian's, but she waited. It would have been hard to tell with unskilled eye, but he had been training for many years.

Yes, he had noticed it before. Her pattern.

Junk forward; dart aside; go in for the real attack; pull back.

Damian knew it, too. But he wasn't as patient. He was too confident in his abilities. He forced his way forward, making Daire step back. She focused on blocking and deflecting his series of attacks, taking mindful steps.

At first, it just looked like she was dodging whenever she could or backing up to avoid a hit, the Bruce noticed it. While her path made zigzag, she was heading for towards something.

She pushed forward every time Damian let her an opening, taking a few steps forward for every dozen or so back. She circled the giant penny twice and the dinosaur skeleton once. This made predicting exactly where she was headed difficult.