The Batman

~ The Batman ~

Daire raised her mask, leaving her green eyes to be seen under her black hood. She was silent, unnoticeable. She wasn't sure what Clone did to draw Batman towards her, but she was thankful. The mission had already taken longer than anticipated.

Without warning, she leapt off the platform, diving at Batman. He barely blocked her sword in time with a bat-a-rang.

With the element of surprise lost, Daire tightened her grip on the sword, staying low to the ground. She already knew his basic attack patterns, so she didn't hesitate to charge at him. Put him on the defense.

Bat-a-rangs in hand, Batman blocked or dodged every attack she made.

"Who are you?" he questioned at some point. "Where's Robin?"

She refused to answer in anything but another attack, followed through with a grunt.

"Do you know who's behind this?" he tried again, dodging the swishing blade. It nipped his cape, which flowed behind him. He glanced at the cut fabric with irritation. Even through his masked eyes, Daire knew the gaze. It was one she was all too familiar with.

Daire took the opportunity to launch a flail of attacks, which the Dark Knight met each thrust and swing in time to only get a few nicks. If Grandfather could see her now. . . he'd be ashamed. Disappointed.

It wasn't the fact that she was losing. Well, not completely. Her anger and grief fueled her, causing sloppy and exaggerated moves. It was not the way of the League. Not the way she had been taught.

But she found herself rather dependent on the emotions.

"Stop," Batman ordered, twisting the sword out of her hand. The sword clattered to the metal ground, but Daire pulled out her spare knives, charging again. "Stop this. Now." In another series of moves, Batman had one-upped her again, pulling one arm behind her back and twisting the other one, loosening both grips.

The smaller blades clattered noisily to their feet while Daire squirmed, looking for a weak spot in the tightening grip.

"Give up," the deep voice growled in her ear.

She was yanked closer to him, sending a wave of panic through her. Memories forced themselves to the front of her brain, taking over her sight. She struggled to remain in the factory she and Batman were in. Struggled not to go back in time.

Instinctively, she flipped the man over her shoulder. Without a word, she dove in for the final blow.

Unexpectedly, Batman threw his leg out with a grunt, knocking Daire over.

He pinned her wrists to the ground, straddling her small body. "Who are you?" When she didn't answer, he continued, "Who's behind this? Who do you work for?"

She flinched as his voice raised, making him back off. Without releasing her, he took some of his weight off her.

"You don't have to do this. You don't have to kill. There's always another way."

Thoughts of her dead baby brother filled her mind, pushing fear and anxiety carelessly to the side.

With a roar and incredible strength, she pushed him back. He went into a roll, quickly getting back up and dodging the series of attacks sent his way.

"You don't have to do this!" he growled.

Daire ignored his protests, annoyed at his lack of offense. She had heard Batman had a soft side for kids and she knew she was short for her age, but this was ridiculous.

After a few rounds, Daire back off to catch her breath. Batman never took his eyes off her.

He jumped, not expecting something. He heard something Daire hadn't. He paused, holding his hand to the side of his head. A com.