The Last Word

~ The Last Word ~

Batman didn't move, standing in the middle of the ruined street. Police cruisers barricaded the area off, and the crime scene investors scanned the place.

No one dared to bother Batman. His was livid and hating himself. Robin and Sparrow were gone. Gone. Gordon showed him a surveillance video from a few buildings down. It recorded parts of the fight and ended with Bane dragging an unconscious young duo off.

"Busy," was Batman's last word to them.

He should have arrested Catwoman instead of indulging himself. He should have resisted her advances. He should have been there for his son and his son's sister.

"Busy."

He shouldn't have said that. He shouldn't have brushed them off. He shouldn't have turned off his com. He shouldn't have left them on their own to fight Bane.

"Busy."

He should have been listening to the police scanners. He should have known something was wrong. Damian wouldn't have let Daire contact him if everything was fine. He should have known. He should have done something.

He should have, should have, should have-

But he didn't. He didn't and now wasn't the time to wallow in self pity. Now was to find the two children depending on him. He wouldn't fail them a second time.

Batman spun on his heels, striding to the Batmobile. He ignored the looks officers sent him. They all knew what happened to Robin and Batman's newest sidekick.

Gordon was the only one brave enough to confront him. He stood between Batman and the Batmobile.

"We'll let you know if we find anything," he promised, stepping aside. He wasn't going to wastes Batman's time. The sooner he found those kids the better. The sooner they were rescued, the less horrors they'd endure.

Batman gave a grunt for a thanks. Gordon accepted it, knowing the Dark Knight had a lot on his plate (that and the man was one of few words).

oOoOoOoOoOoOo

Damian was the first of the young duo to wake up. His body ached, but it was something he had dealt with for much of his childhood.

His throbbing head made opening his eyes unwanted, but he the last thing he remembered was fighting Bane and he forced them open.

Hands tied above his head, his toes barely grazed the floor. That explained the ache in his shoulders. The dimmed lights made it easier for him to keep his eyes open. The mostly barren room held only a couple of tables, a chair, and barrels of something (probably venom). He looked up. The rope around his wrists were tight but at least he didn't have to pick a lock. Before working on an escape, he glanced at Daire. Her mask still clung to her face, she was still Sparrow. It was then he noticed his mask still hid his identity. Good. They were in the same dilemma, just feet away from each other. Her head hung, her breathing shallow and even. Apart from her chest, she didn't move. Her Sparrow outfit was ragged and torn, his Robin getup barely in better shape.

They appeared to be alone. Robin could hear shuffling in the other room but no footsteps strode closer.

"D- Sparrow. Sparrow. Sparrow, wake up," he called, his voice a rough whisper. The walls weren't soundproof, and he wasn't taking any chances on being heard before their escape. His sister stirred but didn't awaken. "Tt." But he wasn't mad. She looked like the aftermath of a severe sparing with their grandfather: tired and beaten. Even sleeping, she didn't seem at ease.