Chapter 1

"You're just bones and a beating heart and a pair of bright eyes. How did you fuck me up so bad?"

Camila's P.O.V.

Dinah took a seat beside me in the lunch room and started talking instantly. She talked about anything and everything, going on and on about the cute boys and finally being in high school and how great her classes were and how she hopes the rest of the day will be as great. I didn't say a word during her rambling because I knew she'd just cut me off and keep talking. I only said something after she was done (which took about 7 minutes).

"Today sucked for me." I said and her jaw hit the floor.

"I'm sure it'll get better." Dinah said and I shook my head, grabbing my backpack and standing up, heading for the door, accidentally bumping into someone.

I apologized profusely and I just heard giggling so I could tell she wasn't upset. I looked up and my breath hitched in my throat. The most beautiful set of eyes stared down at me while I was collecting the things I caused her to drop. I'd never seen her before in my life but I wondered how. If I had passed this person on the street or in school I would've stopped instantly and said hello. It wasn't just because she was beautiful, she looked intelligent and interesting and she looked like someone that I could talk to for hours. I quickly stood up and handed her the things that dropped to the ground.

"I'm Camila." I said and stuck out my hand nervously, wondering if she was the hand shaking kind of person. She giggled a little more and took my hand, firmly shaking it before letting go and looking behind me at something in the distance. Her demeanor instantly changed and a frown set upon her features.

"Listen that's great and all but I have to go meet my friends." She has a lip ring.

"Ok." I replied. She didn't say anything else, just brushed past me rudely and waved at her friends.

I looked back at her and I sighed when I saw who she was talking to. The cheerleaders and the volleyball players that were at the top of the food chain here. Of course all the pretty girls are friends and she just had to be one of them. I can't meet one person that doesn't have something so obviously bad about them. Dinah talks too much for example, that green eyed girl was in with the wrong people and was very unapproachable. Everyone I met today had an oversized sense of confidence and it made me uncomfortable, too uncomfortable to consider talking to them again. Why can't I meet just one person that is enough like me that they're fun to be around? Why do I have to be the odd one out in this high school?

"Hey Camila!" I heard a husky voice say and the green eyed girl was running up to me.

"I'm Lauren. Maybe I'll see you around?" She asked nervously, shoving her hands in her pockets and biting her bottom lip. It was like she knew that she was the most attractive person I'd ever seen and she was trying to prove that she could be even more attractive.

"Y-you want t-to see me around?" I stuttered and she smirked devilishly. She looked back at her friends who were glaring at me judgmentally and changed moods again, shoving me lightly and laughing about something although I'm not sure what.

"You're so funny. We should hang out some time yeah?" She said as her gang of bitches approached.

"Well I have to go but I'll call you ok?" She said in a fake sweet voice that didn't sound anything like the one she was talking with just seconds ago.

"Who's that?" A girl asked as they all walked away in sync.

"Oh, just trying to flirt with one of the freshmen. She's cute isn't she?" She looked back at me and smiled. The rest of the group looked back as well and a few of them shrugged and some of them shook their heads.