Chapter 28

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."

Lauren's P.O.V.
After I was a safe distance away from the school, I pulled out my phone and dialed Camila's number, hoping that she would pick it up even though she probably wasn't home yet. After a few rings, a rushed raspy voice answered. I sighed in relief as I heard her greeting me sweetly, reciprocating her excited hello. She asked me what is wrong almost immediately and I could barely respond because what happened today had been so overwhelming.

I started to tell Camila about what happened with Austin, and she acted sympathetic because she had no idea that he had forced himself on me too, she just knew that him and I used to be good friends and now we're not. I told her earlier that he betrayed me, and that's all she has to go off of. I explained to her exactly what happened that night and what happened in the hallway this morning and she listened intently, giving me advice where I needed it. I tried to tread lightly on the topic of Austin's mention of pity for Camila's suicide attempt, but that just caused Camila to grow angry and yell indirectly.

"Who the hell does he think he is going around talking about that? How does he even know about that, I only told you and Dinah. You didn't tell Austin did you?" She asked curiously, a tone of hurt hidden underneath her question.

"No, but Dinah told Normani and Ally, and God knows they can't keep their mouth shut." I said and I heard an irritated groan come from my girlfriend and I knew she was running her hand through her hair and biting down on her lip.

"Normani is always such a problem, why was I friends with her again?" Camila joked and I cringed at another mention of my ex-girlfriend, hoping that I had been able to push her out my mind, only to have her wiggle her way back into my thoughts.

"I don't know babe." I said, trying to appear as if the topic of the girl didn't bother me in the slightest.

"Did he say anything else? Or was he just being a complete asshole the whole time?" She asked, changing the subject back to what we were previously talking about.

"He uh...he kind of started to apologize to me, but I didn't stick around to let him finish what he was going to say." I said as inconspicuously as I could, but Camila could tell that something was wrong with me very quickly.

"I know you're not as upset about Austin as you are about whatever happened between you and Normani. I'm not totally oblivious you know." She said and my heart started to beat faster.

I tried to play it off like nothing serious happened, but Camila didn't seem to buy it, commenting that even though she can't see me, she can tell that nothing I'm saying is truthful. She accused me of being dishonest with her just for her sake, which she doesn't approve of. I protested for a few seconds before I realized that she has probably already figured out what happened by my anxiety over the situation.

"She wants to get back together doesn't she? Just tell her if you want to or not, it's no big deal. Unless you say yes to her, that would kind of suck." She said in a joking manner, obviously concealing her true feelings about the manner.

"Camz you don't have to pretend like you're fine with someone else wanting to be with me. You can yell at me and tell me to stay far away from her. You can be territorial." I said and Camila chuckled a little under her breath, and I could imagine her shaking her head at me.

"I could, but would you really want that? I don't want to be overbearing like I was before, I want to let you live your life this time. I'm not here to lecture you, I'm just here to love you." She said and I couldn't control the smile coming across my face at her words. I wanted to kiss the hell out of her right now, but all I could do was respond with a small 'Thank you' and blush profusely.

Camila rationally discussed the details of my conversation with Normani with me, showing no true signs of jealousy, but merely irritation towards the other girl for trying to get back together with someone who already has a girlfriend. Granted, I never confirmed my relationship with Camila with any of my friends, but it seemed like Normani had assumed that Camila and I are seeing each other again, therefore thinking that she had to try to get me back before I got in too deep with Camila.

After a few minutes of deep discussion, Camila told me she had to go back to class before they got suspicious of who was calling her. She hung up the phone after we exchanged 'I love you's and returned to her fifth period.

Camila's P.O.V.

As I walked down the hallway towards my English class, I thought of ways to explain my rather long absence. My mom was having an emergency; my sister hurt herself at school; there was an existential crisis that only I could prevent. None of my excuses seemed plausible enough to tell the teacher, so I just told her my boyfriend called and she scolded me, but did not enforce punishment. I thanked her and took a seat beside my newer friend, Ariana.

Ariana is a senior, but she got pushed back in English a year because she failed the grammar part of her exam last year. She has ''taken me under her wing" as they say and she's shown me around the school and warned me about who and who not to talk to. She tells me about parties that are happening, even though she knows there's no way I'll go to them but just in case I ever feel like partying. She's kind of like the Ally of my new school, only hopefully Ariana won't get a boyfriend and ignore every one of her friends.

"You never told me you have a boyfriend Camila. What's his name?" Ariana asked and I hesitated a second too long because Ariana shot me a curious glance and smirked.

"No boyfriend? Who were you talking to then?" She asked with a knowing look and I tried to remain calm as Ariana stared at me quizzically.

"Lauren." I said simply and the brunette furrowed her brow, commenting on how I've never told her about Lauren.

"She's my....friend." I said and I looked up to see Ariana smiling widely, an impish look on her features.

"More like girlfriend. You never told me you have a girlfriend either." She crossed her arms and I felt an embarrassed blush spread across my cheeks. I tried to defend myself and protest that Lauren is not my girlfriend, but Ariana could see right through me.

"I have to meet her some time. She-"

"Ariana! Shh." The teacher yelled suddenly and Ariana turned back to face the board, sending a wink my way before she focused her attention on Mrs. Bradford. The rest of the class period couldn't go by slowly enough, the lecture of today being on subject pronouns, which I have already heard about enough in previous English courses. The bell rang an hour after Ariana's discovery of Lauren, and I rushed out of the classroom before she could say anything else to me.

______________________________________

I returned home to find my girlfriend casually chatting with my mother about something, Lauren's confidence radiating off of her. My mother did not look angry or irritated to be speaking to the green eyed girl, she seemed to be enjoying her conversation actually, laughing loudly whenever Lauren told a joke. I couldn't help but giggle at both of their bubbly moods as they told each other funny stories. I took a seat beside Lauren, and she instinctively grabbed my hand, intertwining our fingers. My mom's eyes flitted to Lauren and I's joined hands for a split second before she looked back up at me, flashing me a sweet smile.

The two of them went back to their conversation, filling me in on what I missed. They were just catching up it seemed, but I found it odd that Lauren was here so early and that my mother wasn't yelling at her to get out of my house. They are being friendly and my mom was acting as if she doesn't think Lauren is the cause of all my problems. I don't know if my mother is just trying to be nice because she knows how much Lauren means to me, or if she genuinely forgave her for whatever she thought Lauren did. Whichever one, I can see there is an obvious improvement.

______________________________
I apologize that is chapter is so shitty 💩💩 but um...my story is ending in like 2 more chapters, so prepare yourselves I suppose. Thank you guys for almost a THOUSAND votes, that's so cool 😱

-Carson