Chapter 9

"Some people just make you feel things you forgot you could."

Lauren's P.O.V.
I woke up in the unfamiliar bed, dazed and confused. I tried to remember what happened last night that landed me in this house. I remember being exhausted and too lazy to drive to a hotel. I remember the woman with the strange smile that invited me inside and gave me a place to sleep. I remember thinking that I was in paradise because I didn't know where I was.

I stood up quickly, hoping to leave the house without disturbing anybody. I peered out my door and sighed when I saw the woman from last night positioned over the stove. She was preparing breakfast I assume, and I don't think there's anyone in this house besides her and I currently, so I hope she doesn't think that I'm going to stick around for an awkward breakfast with a stranger.

I walked out into the hallway and made my way towards the kitchen, stepping inside cautiously.

"Good morning." I said softly and the woman turned around. A boy that was sitting at the table looked up at me and smiled in that same strange way the woman did. I assumed it was her son.

"Hello. Would you like to stay for breakfast or do you need to get back on the road?" She asked and I explained that I had to go home. She nodded and I exited quickly, waving goodbye and sprinting down the driveway towards my car.

I threw open the door to the silver vehicle and jumped in, starting the engine quickly. I tore down the now familiar dirt path and entered back onto the highway. I speeded down the road, eager to get to the next gas station for some reason. After a while, I came across a 7 eleven and pulled up beside one of the gas pumps. After I filled the tank to its full capacity, I pulled out my cellphone and checked my messages.

From: Dad
Sweetie, I'm worried about you. When are you going to come back?

From: Mom
Lo, I want you come home, we all miss you and I'm sorry for whatever I did to you to deserve this.

I rolled at my eyes at the obviously planned messages and clicked delete. So, they finally acknowledged that I'm not home. They actually noticed that I exist. Strange how they noticed only after I was gone. Only then did they notice how horribly they had been treating me and how terrible they made me felt all of the time.

From: Taylor
Lauren, I'm sorry. I didn't know that my blatant avoiding of you or my obvious disapproval of you would make you feel inferior and unappreciated. I wanted to show you that I didn't like what happened to you, but maybe I went a little overboard. I knew you got the message after I had been ignoring you for a month, but I didn't stop ignoring you because I didn't believe you deserved my attention. But you do, you're my big sister and I love you regardless of who you are or what you do. We're family and I'm sorry I forgot that.

From: Chris
Listen Laur, I'm sorry for everything that I did to you and I'm sorry that I neglected you and how you were feeling. I regret everything that I did and I really hope that you're ok. I know that sometimes people blame themselves for something that isn't their fault and I don't want you to do that.

Seeing as how my siblings messages were more thought out and intricate, I assumed they meant it a little more. I believe they feel a lot worse about their actions because the way they treated me was stubborn and idiotic, the way my parents treated me was with concern and care (in a messed up way). My siblings are idiots. I can't deny it, but at least they admit that they did something wrong. My parents thought they were doing the right thing. They were, essentially, but they could've been a little less harsh and judgmental about it. My siblings were just trying to stay out of my way because they
didn't want to have to deal with me.

I deleted the messages, not wanting to see them again because for whatever reason, they upset me. I clicked on Camila's contact name and a few new messages popped up from last night. It made me glad to see that someone cared about me for a reason other than they have to. She may not want to date me, she may not even like me that much, but she sticks around because she wants to. She wants to be my friend, not because of my popularity or my reputation, but because she genuinely enjoys me.

I sent her a message back, asking what would become of 'us' if I came back and waited patiently for a response. She told me that we'd still remain friends no matter what, and I couldn't help but smile at the prospect of that. Other than Ally, I don't really have true friends that appreciate me. Sometimes I feel that Ally doesn't even really want to be around me all that much. But now, I have Camila and she's changing everything for me.

I looked up directions to get home as soon as I realized that I wanted to see her again. To be around her. I can't be away from her even though I need time to myself. I need to be with her because she's the only thing that's keeping me sane.

A day later...
Camila's P.O.V.
I entered the school with my head down, avoiding eye contact with anyone. I walked quickly down the halls and stopped in front of my locker, opening it hastily and pulling my textbooks out, positioning them in my right arm and slamming the door closed.

"Hi." A smooth voice said and I physically jumped at the greeting. I peered over at Austin and smiled fakely at him.

"Hi." I returned and he leaned against the locker next to mine.

"Do you want to go on a date sometime? I know that you've got that whole thing going on with Lip Ring, but I think I might be better for you." He said with a smirk and I felt myself growing annoyed instantly. I like Austin, he seems sweet, but he always says the wrong things and he always wants to start something. He likes drama, which is a giant turn off for me. I hate drama, I hate being noticed. I don't like the spotlight but that's exactly the opposite of what he likes so I've tried to avoid him. But, he's a very persistent and hard to get rid of, so I've decided to kindly tell him I'm not interested.

"Listen Austin I.....uh......Lauren is my girlfriend. I don't think she'd appreciate you flirting so blatantly with me." I lied, trying to get him to leave me alone.

He shrugged and inched closer, smirking devilishly. I backed away slowly, trying to keep my distance from the boy. He placed a hand on my shoulder and locked our eyes. I retreated yet again, brushing him off of me and heading in the opposite direction. He stopped me by grabbing onto my wrist and tugged me towards him. I shrieked and pushed him away, asking him to leave me alone. He frowned and wrapped his arms around me, apologizing for his slightly aggressive behavior. I tried to pry him off of me and I felt a hand pulling me away and shoving Austin to the ground.

"Stay the fuck away from her." A familiar, raspy voice said and I was thankful that she was there to stop his advances.

He looked up at me, dumbfounded and motionless. Lauren stared back at him with an unamused look on her features. He sheepishly smiled and stood up, quickly walking away from us, trying to avoid the glares he was receiving from the various girls in the hall.

Lauren wrapped a protective arm around my waist and led me towards my first class. I looked up at her in shock, not believing what I was seeing. She seems even more beautiful than she was the last time I saw her. She always looks gorgeous, but this time she seems different. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but she doesn't seem like she was when she left a few days ago. Her eyes were sparkling and her usual pallor was replaced with a bright smile and rosy cheeks. The lip ring that I had become accustomed to was absent as well as her nose ring. There was no black adorning her and no rebellious look to her. She was more like the younger version of her than the former version of her that I had gotten to know.

"Quit staring at me like a piece of meat." She whispered and I chuckled, returning my gaze forward.

She stopped in front of the door to my class and gave me an awkward grin before quickly rushing away.