Chapter 12

"No, fuck you. I was worth it."

Lauren's P.O.V.

"I can't believe I'm doing this" I thought to myself and I walked up Camila's driveway. I stared at the pavement in front of me as I click-clacked up the pathway. I observed the flowers in my hand and grimaced at them. I've never been one for romantic gestures, yet here I am to take Camila to homecoming as her official date. I never thought I would doing anything like this. I thought I would just hook up with Camila once and forget about her, not try to get her to fall in love with me. I didn't think any of this would happen.

"Hi Lauren." Camila's mom said as she opened the door to let me in.

"Hi Mrs. Cabello. How are you?" I asked and she gave me a big smile.

"I'm fantastic. And you can call me Sinu sweetie." She said and I smiled nervously at her. The name sounds familiar.

"Ok...Sinu. Thank you." I said and she nodded and left me alone. I looked around curiously, observing the still unfamiliar room.

I heard footsteps coming down the stairs and expected to be met by Camila, but instead a tall, friendly looking man came down and held out his hand for me. I grasped it gently and he shook my hand firmly. He gave me a wide smile and gestured for me to sit down in one of the armchairs. I reluctantly obliged and he sat in the one opposite of me.

"So Lauren....I hear you're interested in my daughter. No matter how unconventional this seems, I'll go with it because you look like a nice girl." He said and I smiled nervously at him.

"So is this a one time thing or are you interested in seeing more of Camila?" He asked and leaned his chin forward onto the palm of his hand.

I cleared my throat anxiously and ran my hand through my hair before I answered. "I like Camila a lot, and I think that if this night goes well, I might ask her to be my girlfriend. If that's ok with you of course." I said and he chuckled, standing up and reaching out his hand once again. I obediently shook his hand another time and he patted my shoulder supportively.

"I like you Lauren. You have my blessing. Just, don't hurt her please. I don't know if I could take seeing my girl heart broken." He said and I nodded, informing him that I would never try to hurt her. He gave me an approving look and retreated into the other room.

I peered over my shoulder at Camila. She was standing sheepishly at the foot of the stairs, giving me a strange look. She rushed down the stairs when she noticed me looking and threw her arms around me, attacking my lips with hers. I rested my hands on her hips and gently pushed her away, meeting her confused eyes with a quizzical expression. She started to ramble about how she's sorry for what she said earlier and that she wants to be with me and that she doesn't think that badly of me. She continued to talk to me about how great I am and I shoved her flowers in her face to get her to stop talking.

She took them with delight and started to admire them. She quickly ran off to put them in a vase and returned a few minutes later, finally noticing my dress.

"Oh my god. You look like an angel." She said observantly and her eyes flitted up and down as she affectionately stared at my outfit. She looked down at her plain pink dress and frowned.

"I wish I was that pretty." She said with a giggle before she grabbed my hand and led me out of the house. She almost sprinted towards my Corolla as we made our way down the path.

I opened the door for her and she plopped down on the leather seat, beaming up at me. I rounded the car and sat in the driver's seat, starting the engine instantly.

Camila jumped up and down excitedly as we made our way to the high school, talking about how excited she is to finally go to a school dance and that she's so lucky to have me as a date. Only she didn't mean me, she meant Lauren Jauregui, most popular sophomore in school. I ignored it since I would be just as ecstatic to have the most popular junior as my date and just smiled in acknowledgement.

As soon as we found a parking spot, Camila was out of the car and inside the building. I followed as quickly as I could, but I was unable to keep up with her fast pace.

I entered the high school and looked around for my jumpy date. I found her talking animatedly to Dinah and Normani, Ally probably absent to be with Troy. They glanced over at me and Normani sneered. I waved at her mockingly and approached the group, saying my greetings to the two of them (Normani was reluctant to reciprocate). Dinah gave me a big hug and a kiss on the cheek before she started talking loudly again.

I turned to Normani and attempted to converse with her, but all I received was an 'I want to destroy you' kind of look. I grinned and grabbed her arm, tugging her off towards a remote corner.

"What the fuck? Why are you being so rude to me?" I asked and she looked at me in disbelief.

"Lauren, you took my virginity as a joke." She said and I tried to reply but I couldn't believe that I'd done that to her. I was in utter shock that I was capable of being such a terrible person.

"I'm so sorry. I was drinking and that never ends well. I didn't know what I was doing and I didn't mean to take advantage of you." I said sincerely and she scoffed.

"Sure. I'm sure you're very sorry for what you did. But that doesn't make up for you doing it. You really hurt me Lauren and I'm not going to forgive you." She said and I rolled my eyes.

"I know there's no excuse for my behavior but it wasn't a joke Normani, I really liked you. I wouldn't just sleep with you if it didn't mean anything to me." I said and she raised her eyebrow doubtfully.

I knew I was going to regret what I was about to do, but I had to do it.

"Normani, if you want me to prove to you that it wasn't a joke, then go on a date with me. I promise I'll be a proper lady and I will treat you respectfully. Just one date." I almost begged and she raised her eyebrow again.

"You're already dating someone." She pointed out and I sighed deeply, running a hand through my hair again.

"Camila isn't my girlfriend. I'm don't have to do what she wants because she holds no power over me. I want to go on a date with you because I want to show you I'm not some shallow asshole and I actually like you." I reassured her and she crossed her arms over her chest. She shook her head and chuckled to herself.

I waited anxiously for her answer as she contemplated silently. She remained quiet for a few minutes before I cleared my throat and she looked up at me.

"You know what Lauren, no. I don't need you to try to tell me how great you are because I know that's a lie. You're awful and you use people to make yourself feel good. You're manipulating Camila so that she thinks that you actually want to be with her when you're looking purely for sex and sex only. I know you, you want to take me on a date so that I think you're a good person but I know you're not. I know what you want from her and I'm making sure she knows too. I don't want her making a giant mistake like I did." She said angrily and I could see the irritation evident on her features.

"Why are you so terrible? Why did you let them do this to you? You used to be a great girl, you used to be so nice and sweet, but now you're evil." Normani said with discontent and I stared at her curiously.

"LAUREN!" I heard Camila's raspy voice shout and I turned to look at the small girl beckoning me over. I sighed and looked up at Normani. She merely shrugged and walked away, probably to find her boyfriend.

"Hey Camz." I said calmly and Camila clumsily wrapped an arm around my waist. She tugged me out to the dance floor and I noticed the slow song playing softly in the background. I groaned inwardly as she placed her hands on top of my shoulder and reluctantly placed my hands on her hips, careful not to violate the rules about touching that the school enforces. Camila, however, couldn't care less about the guidelines for appropriate dance etiquette. She pulled me as close as I could get and rested her chin on my shoulder, rocking me back in forth in her arms. I tried to stay calm and focus on the music, but all I could think about was her hot breaths hitting my neck and her body pressed against mine.

I looked around periodically to make sure there weren't any teachers approaching to tell us to separate. None ever did, and Camila and I swayed slowly to the rhythm of 'Stay With Me'. I heard her humming along quietly in my ear and I felt chills run down my spine. It felt strange to hold her in my arms due to the fact that I've never been in a serious relationship with a girl before. Camila is the first girl that I've ever....fallen for.

I still can't believe I'm doing this.