Chapter 14

"I think too much. I think ahead. I think behind. I think sideways. I think it all. If it exists, I've fucking thought of it."

Lauren's P.O.V.

"Hey Mom, can I ask you about something?" I said to my slightly frantic mother as she prepared dinner.

"What is it?" She said kindly, turning around to face me with a smile on her face.

"Camila mentioned something about her mom and you being old friends. Do you know Sinu?" The mention of her name made my mother cringe.

"Sinu is....uh....not a friend, honey." She answered evasively, going back to fixing the salad for tonight.

"Oh. Did something bad happen between you?" I asked curiously, wanting to now all I could about the matter.

"We...um.....we broke up a long time." She vaguely explained and I could see the shame in her eyes as she said it.

Camila hadn't mentioned the part about them being in a relationship, she merely said they knew each other a long time ago. I didn't know my mother had a romantic past besides my father, she's never really mentioned anyone else. I've heard the name Sinu pop up a few times during conversations I had eavesdropped on, but I was too naive to think my mother had an ex-girlfriend. I thought it was a friend of theirs and nothing more.

"So, what happened? Why don't you like each other anymore?" I questioned, determined to figure out the truth.

"I cheated on her with your father. She was very upset and she told me that she never wanted to see me again. We never spoke after that. I haven't seen her since high school." She said, sadness laced with her words.

"Well, I'm dating her daughter, so it looks like things worked out fine. Why didn't you move past it and become friends?"

"Because I find it difficult to be merely friends with someone I pretended to be in love with for a joke." She replied, no frustration in her tone, just shame.

"I hurt her so badly when she found out that I was seeing someone else behind her back. I don't think we could ever most past that. I don't want to bring problems to your relationship because I know how much you like this girl, but her mother might punish you because you're my daughter. I don't want you to have to sneak around with the girl because her mother won't let you see her." My mother said compassionately, apologetically looking up at me.

My mother continued to discuss the details of her relationship with Sinu until dinner was ready and she asked me to set the table. I obeyed reluctantly, wanting to hear more of the story. I took the plates out to the dining room, placing one in front of each chair. I then brought out the silverware and put a set by each plate. I positioned the napkins under the plates and rushed back into the kitchen, eager to engage in conversation with my mother again. She greeted me with another smile and I asked more about Sinu, which she answered in the same manner she had all evening, politely and factually.

She took the dishes of food out to the table and spread them out evenly, placing them towards the center of the table. I followed behind her excitedly, assisting her in setting up the dinner and collecting the others so that we could eat.

"Now, no mention of this conversation at the dinner table ok? Your father hates talking about it." She told me and I nodded obediently, taking my seat at the right end of the table.

Camila's P.O.V.
"Mom, what happened with Clara?" I asked all of a sudden, completing my side of the deal with Lauren to figure out how their relationship ended.

My mom sighed as she heard the name, shaking her head and setting down the book in her hands to look at me. I could see the resentment in her eyes when she thought back to those times.