Chapter 4

"I'm ashamed of myself because I know I should be better and I have no idea how to get there."

Lauren's P.O.V.

Everyone cleared out at about 1 in the morning and after that, only a couple people remained, the group of girls that I had talked to earlier having disappeared almost as soon as I left them to go speak to someone else. The few people that were left in my house were either too drunk to realize their surrounding or were sleeping on the floor. I tried to rouse the blackout drunks but they were simply impossible to wake up. I did guide the others out of my house and gave them the number to a cab company because I didn't want them to injure themselves.

"Hey. Get the fuck up." I poked someone's cheek, trying to get them to open their eyes.

"Five more minutes." They grumbled and I shook my head, forcing them to sit up.

The person whined and complained and called me a bitch several times before they agreed to get out of my house. I saw a couple slumped against the wall, tangled together and I approached them cautiously, gently shaking the guys shoulder and he looked up at me with glassy eyes. He rubbed at them and apologized for falling asleep, immediately waking up his girlfriend and directing her out the door. There was only one person left after that and I walked closer and stopped when I saw who it was. My football player ex-boyfriend was lying on my floor, knocked out cold and snoring loudly. I felt very uncomfortable with the fact that he was here all night and that he thought he was welcome here. I didn't even want to touch him and here I stand, having to awaken him and tell him to get out of my house.

"Keaton," I said anxiously and he flipped over to look at me, smiling brightly and looking around.

"Oh! Sorry bout crashing here babe, didn't mean to." He said and I felt a sense of discomfort.

"I guess I'll go, seeing as you look like you've seen a ghost just by seeing my face. See you later." He said and stood up, stretching out his arm and yawning loudly before licking his lips and exiting, leaving me alone in my messy living room.

I groaned and started to pick up the cups and the wrappers strewn across the floor. I eventually got everything cleaned up in there and searched the rest of the downstairs for any signs of illegal activity. I didn't notice anything out of place and there were just a few pieces of trash around that I quickly picked up. I searched upstairs and almost jumped in fright when I came face to face with my brother, who seemed infuriated. He had a strong grip on my friend Vero's arm, shoving her towards me and walking back to his room, not uttering a single word to me.

"Your brother wasn't really picking up what I was putting down when he came in to see me laying on his bed." She said and I rolled my eyes, tugging her down the stairs and leading her to the door.

"Listen, leave him alone please. Also, tell all of the other girls to leave him alone too" i pleaded and Vero chuckled and put her hand on my shoulder.

"But Laur, he's so hot." She whined and I shoved her hand off of me.

"Your heterosexuality makes me sick." I said playfully and she scoffed, opening the door and waving goodbye at me before going off to figure out where she parked her car.

I turned around and shrieked when I bumped into Chris yet again. He stared at me blankly, yet also observantly. He crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes, obviously in thought. The only thing I could do was avoid eye contact because I was too terrified to move from where I stood. He continued to blatantly scrutinize me with an unreadable expression on his face before shaking his head and walking away. Due to the fact that it was the most attention I'd received from anyone in family in a long time, I felt myself becoming saddened that he didn't even think I was even worth words.