10

It felt like a demand, but he said it calmly. I wanted to get away from this uncomfortable situation. I couldn't, because Edmund's hold on my arm got stronger.

He pulled me against his side and whispered.

"You can't always run away."

Through the corner of my eye, I noticed Victoria watching me with annoyed expression.

"Stay..." he said quietly.

I didn't had a courage, but I obeyed.

"What did I get myself into?" Victoria rolled her eyes.

There seemed to be some invisible communication between Edmund and her, but I had no clue, what was up with them.

One thing was certain. They seemed close. Even with Maria, Edmund didn't act so free and careless. He didn't wear his usual full arrogance look this time.

"Come, we'll have some tea." Edmund suggested.

Victoria pulled out an ash grey fan which had two huge eyes. Those reminded me of patterns on  wings of a moth – accented with cream colored lines and tiny dots. The dark eyes in the middle looked like endless abyss. It terribly captivated me. It was beautiful.

"Do you like it?" She asked, snapping me out of another daydream. "We can buy one for you too."

I almost invisibly nodded. I wasn't sure if I really wanted it or could just get it. Maybe I could, but I still felt like nothing belongs to me.

"My advise, Thea. You should speak up. Just say, what you want."

"I don't want anything..." My words came out in quiet murmur.

Edmund just smiled. I didn't get, why he allowed her to talk like that with me. Previously, he always interfered, whenever someone crossed the line, but not now. Was it normal for these people to talk so rudely and blunt?

On the way to the tea house both of them talked about various things, but I couldn't concentrate on their conversation. It was just a distant bubbling, like a chattering of leaves in autumn.

I have always noticed how Edmund talks to me. It have never changed over the years. Everything he says is an order, a demand. Even when his voice is calm or holds other soft emotions, there is always that undertone of 'obey me'. Is it only with me? Because I was a slave? I never paid attention to how he spoke to others.

Victoria's voice hold the same tone.

This world is so different, strange and foreign to me. They talk differently, behave and treat each other with different kind of respect, if it could be called that way. I didn't feel respected, though now I hold so high position.

"I will go and get some snacks. You both can get to know each other." Edmund said, and left us near a tea house all alone.

It felt like he has abandoned me and left me in the hands of a witch. My heart was filled with bitter feelings and I desperately wanted to abandon Victoria and leave her standing in the middle of nowhere.

Victoria didn't hang on a though that Edmund left and took me by the arm and guided me closer to a white stone structure overgrown with blooming vines which emitted calming fragrance.

It surprised me, how confident Victoria is. I have just met her, but she acts, like has been knowing me her whole life. She is not a little bit hesitant in way she approaches me.

"Sit." She pulled me next her to sit on the carved stone bench.

The whole time my body felt stiff. I didn't know what to expect from her.

"Are you...? You don't like me, do you? Why is that?"

My tongue was tied. I couldn't just say and be rude to her. I could not cross this line, even if I wanted to. I was very afraid of consequences and I don't think Victoria would take it kindly.

"Just say it. I know you have something on your mind."

"You.... you are just like her... Maria." I couldn't make my eyes face her.

"Really? I don't think so. I think I am more than that. She is just a little, spoiled girl."

"Aren't you the same?" I instantly regretted saying it.

"I am, I won't deny it, but it ends there. With me it is.... you get, what you see." Victoria elegantly gestured at herself. "I don't hide myself from people around me."

Somehow it made sense. Victoria was arrogant, probably spoiled and very beautiful. Seemed like she is saying whatever is on her mind. She was not afraid and didn't care what other side thinks of her.

From the start Maria played nice and made me think I can trust her. It never was her true intentions.

"Edmund have really surprised me. I didn't know he prefers this kind of women." She looked me over.

I looked at myself too. I was not so small and fragile like her, my face was nothing special too. I had pale skin, little bit round face structure, which gave the impression of a young girl. I lacked the sharp features of a noble lady. And above all, I never looked confident and sure about myself.

"Haha! I am not saying you are ugly." She giggled. "All this time I thought you look different, but I was wrong.... . You are nothing like I imagined you to be."

"How do you know about me?"

"Hasn't Edmund told anything about me? He certainly told everything about you. That is..... how great of a pet you are!" She burst out in laughter.

"I am not a pet." I said quietly to myself.

"What? I didn't hear you well."

"Nothing..."

"Speak up!"

Will she be another person, who will make fun of me? I couldn't tell yet. Maybe she just repeated Edmund's words - words, that somehow always reminded me that I am nothing.

"How do you...? Are you close?" I couldn't think of anything to ask at first, as I wanted to know all.

"Yes. We are very close friends. I have known him, since I could stand on my own feet."

"He have never told me about you." I couldn't help, but feel very depressed. 

I watched my expensive looking shoes and not once glanced at Victoria. I couldn't make myself to look her in the eye and see her gorgeous face and princess like appearance. 

Strange thoughts invaded my mind, about things I have never thought about. As I compared myself to her, I felt even more insignificant in this noble men world, in Edmund's eyes and heart. I was nothing compared to Victoria.

I wanted to be like her, to be better and be someone looked upon, admired.