43

I didn't want our friendship to end. I made my decisions hasty without thinking it over. I have the feeling that Margaret and Scarlet knew nothing of Cristina's true intentions. Before I go I will talk to them one more time to clear things out.

The weather is getting cooler and bright warm sun is rarer these days. As for today, the thick clouds are covering the sky, but it doesn't appear to bring rain.

Girls live in a fancy house in the middle of the city. It's a lot smaller than those I have lived in. The decoration is similar, it stands out between the dark brick buildings surrounding the structure. Carved beasts guard the entrance.

I knock on a door, my heart is pounding. Will they want to see me?

A maid comes out and invites me inside. The welcoming warmth heats up my cheeks. In a distance, I hear familiar voices.

"Please, your highness. Come inside." The maid gently pushed me deeper into the room.

The interior was so different. Many antique-looking furniture was placed along the wallpaper covered walls, big crystal chandeliers gave a very soft light, leaving most of the corners in shadows. Nonetheless, the family was wealthy, none of these things I have seen anywhere else.

"Hello! Sorry to disturb you at this hour. I wished to clear out our misunderstandings before I leave the city."

The serious expression of the sisters troubled me and I thought maybe  I am a nuisance and have made a mistake for coming. 

Scarlet's face softened up. She even gave me a weak smile.

"Sorry, Thea! We apologize in the place of our cousin. Also, we knew nothing about her advances towards your husband." She bowed down, which irked me. I didn't feel content with close friends showing such respect towards me. I think nothing will change my heart, the way I value the people in my life.

"I thought so as well. I want to apologize too for my rude reaction and that I threw you out of our castle."

"You are being too formal, my dear queen. I would be acting worse if I knew about the situation." Scarlet giggled.

Her cheerful nature instantly brightened my mood. I was so happy to have such great friends.

"To repay for the trouble I caused, I invite you to our summer house to spend some wonderful time. I am in a hurry to go there. Edmund is waiting for me as well as Victoria."

"It sounds so great! We would like to!"

I smiled like a little girl, my heart filled with happiness.

"Do you want some hot tea before you head off?"

"Sorry, but I have to hurry. I wish to be home before nightfall."

Margaret told me to wait a minute. She runs into another room seeming excited. I wondered what she is up to?

Minutes later she came back with a small bag tied with a braided rope. She put it in my hands.

"That is for a safe journey."

"What is it?" I was trying to peek inside.

"Cookies!" Scarlet informed. "We made them ourselves, but we are no great cooks. But fear not, they taste great."

"Thank you!"

It felt so nice to receive a gift from friends even so insignificant.

I jumped back into the carriage, trying to escape from the cool air.  The thoughts of returning to my old home occupied my mind and I wished for time to pass quicker. The coachman told the horses to move as soon as I was inside making me fall in my seat ungracefully, for which I was happy that no one saw it.

I watched the clouds getting darker as the night drew closer. Before I knew my eyes closed and the deep sleep captured me. I couldn't stay awake for longer. Many hours ticked by and there were many more to come until I am next to Edmund.

The road seemed bumpy under the wheels, making me uncomfortable and unable to sleep for longer. Slowly my eyes opened. The inside of a carriage was dark, I could barely see the pattern on the cushioned walls. Something was odd in one corner, seemed like a shadow, a ghost or maybe even a real person.

I instantly jumped realizing that another human is with me. The last time I was awake I was alone. My body went stiff and I tried to come up on what to do. Before I had a chance to react, the person spoke.

"Finally you are awake! I was growing tired of waiting for you."

The voice was so familiar, it was a lady and for some reason the sound of it made my blood run cold. She was covered up in a black cloak, her face hidden beneath a hood, only her pale skin peeked under it.

"Who are you? What do you want?" Unwillingly my voice was wavering.

"Have we been apart for so long? It pains me that you don't remember me."

She took off the hood, her moves were elegant like those of a high born lady. Then her eyes reached me and I lost my breath. The carriage was still going. I was worrying... Where?

As if reading my thoughts, she said. "Don't waste your time, dear. It's no longer your coachman and the carriage won't stop until I say so."

Her voice was filled with excitement. I could feel she is holding on to her emotions, trying not to spill her happiness over her smirking lips. I hated it. Constantly my eyes looked out the window waiting for a moment to jump out, escape this situation or wake up from this terrible dream.

My arm reached for the handle, but before I could open the door she took hold of me and pulled me back in my seat.

"Let go of me, Maria!" I raised my voice. "Don't touch me!"