56

"I kept the most suspicious people in the castle, rather than in the main prison." Edmund's voice was cold competing in temperature down in the lower levers, the basement.

Its location was still further away from the main rooms and living space of a king. The cold stone walls were bare, little dump, evoking the feeling of fear and misery even to myself. I wished not to think of what the real prisoners felt like. A nightmare come true - that what the stale air and the scarce sounds of the wind whispered.

"Who else is here? You make it sound like many people have been imprisoned, Edmund."

I tried to follow his fast pace. I was eager to meet Maria, but he seemed even more. The lantern in his hand was gripped hard, his stare set unmoving to face the dark tunnel ahead. He was ready to snap.

"Maria's father, Blanchard, Amelia..."

"Your mother, Edmund?" I was shocked. "Stop for the second! Please!" I pulled him to a halt.

He was breathing hard and few strains of hair have become wet and were sticking to his forehead.

"Just calm down for once Edmund! I am here, I am home. You have nothing to worry about anymore."

"Do you know for how long I was looking for you, how many sleepless nights went by just thinking and finding a way to get you back all the while that witch lied to me about her innocence? I cannot calm down until Maria gets to pay for her crimes. And the sooner the better."

"I am sorry I made you worry so much, Edmund."

My husband sounded so ruthless and cold, his words were harsh. I did not know what to expect from him anymore. He seemed to be stuck in a pit of rage and I had no idea how to get him to come back. It hurt to see him this way. In the faint light and the darkness surrounding us, I wished he not saw my tears escaping against my will.

"Thea, stop always blaming yourself. It is not your fault." Like a tall, dark shadow he stepped closer, the energy in his body scaring me more, making me flinch and cower away. "You said you want to deal with her on your own... I will not leave you all by yourself. We both will confront Maria and... please, don't fear me... I will not harm you." Edmund's voice became more gentle as he wiped my wet cheeks.

He gently snaked his hand to hold mine and lead me ahead in silence. I wiped the rest of my face before seeing Maria. She would not deserve to see how much I have been hurt.

We neared the cells, both sides hold the number of rooms closed in with black metal rods. The rooms were clean with a single bed inside. I could tell it was rather luxurious for criminals. In my younger days, I would call this a master's room, it looked better compared to the places I lived in. I would appreciate the spaciousness of these cells.

Some were empty, in others I heard shuffling or whispers, but nothing else.

"She is separated from everyone else at the far end." Edmund said in low voice.

We passed the cells with a man inside and the next with my husband's mother. My heart throbbed seeing her in this darkness, alone with no blame at all. I wished so...

We did not linger a second. At the end instead of metal rods, a thick metal door holds the last suspect or I should call it a culprit. Edmund did not hesitate and opened it. The door squeaked in unpleasant sound sending goosebumps all over my body. He went inside with the same raging motion, I followed.

Edmund grabbed her by her hair, which before was holding up in a rather neat hairstyle. He destroyed it in seconds and then a yelp from Maria echoed through the hall.

"What the hell, Edmund! Stop! Stop this! What have I done!" She cried out.

I gulped in fear. I thought I can handle facing her, but now I started to doubt myself. I could agree to Edmund now. It was much better he was here too.

"Don't you pretend to be innocent. I know everything." He said between his teeth.

"How? You have no proof!"

Edmund spun her frail form around while her delicate hands were trying to tangle out Edmund's grasp.

"I have!" He growled instantly in her face.

Her screaming stopped. Maria wanted to say something but no words came out of her gaping mouth only her grimace showed the complete shock all the while experiencing the pain as her hair was being torn out.

"It pains me so much you have forgotten about me." I managed to gain confidence.

Maria eyed Edmund and her eyes came back to me time after time.  "This is some sorcery! You should have been dead a long time ago." She gave a vibe of a hissing snake. Her eyes traveled down my body. "I see you have secured the lineage. Edmund!" She sang in her ladylike voice and looked up at my husband. "Are you sure it's yours? You don't know where she has been all this time..."

"Shut up! I don't believe your lies."

Maria laughed softly. I don't know did she feel confident or defeated, but her protests stopped, though her soft smile never disappeared.

"So... what you all are going to do? Kill me?"

Edmund was ready to spit some curses her way but I intervened just in time.

"No." I said calmly. "I will make you rot in the deepest cells for the rest of your life. I hope you will like to be closer to your home..."

Maria was confused. "What is it? I don't understand you."

"I meant 'hell'. That's where you belong to."

I wanted to get away from her, Maria's presence was unnerving. The fresh air and light felt so far away this moment. Edmund could feel my uneasiness and let her go. We shut her cell.

Nearly at the end of the hall, she said loud enough for us to hear.

"Thank you, William. You were a great help." Maria took a long pause. "Blanchard, if you thought you will get away... Not while I am breathing." The last sentence was filled with venom.