29

My sight was set on the passing clouds outside the library. I took a glimpse in one of the books - thick and dusty collection of old fairy tales. Stories of princesses and other magical beings made me think of true reality. Life of a princess was not so bright, as it was  pictured in the books, at least not mine, but I wished it could be.

Anna's soft humming in the background let us experience the relaxing afternoon, freeing our minds of work duties and forget about the real world outside.

Sophia's slim form watched me, as I daydreamed.

"Sop standing there, Sophia. You are free to relax." I came back to reality. "Sit down, take some book, read something."

My voice was calm and I felt little bit drowsy, sitting in afternoon sun rays.

"I can't read, your majesty."

"Oh, right. Sorry I forgot."

Reality drawned up on me. Probably none of the servants could read. I expected that people living in the city were able to get some education, but unfortunately it was not the case. I might be the lucky one, as Edmund made sure for me to learn, as if knowing I will need it.

"Sophy, Sophy! Come and look, you don't need to know how to read this one. It's full with pictures!"

I waved for Sophia to relax and join Anna. She was so tense and didn't want to abandon her duties.

"Do you get your days off, Sophia?"
"No." She answered shortly.
"I will make sure to give you lots of free time."
"And.... Who will take care of you?" Anna asked.
"It's not like I can't be by myself. Have you forgotten, that I have been the 'servant' for most of my life?"
"But you are no more, that means you need your maids."
"Anna!" Sophia scolded the little girl, her voice barely audible.
I smiled but didn't interviene. Even though I had nothing against Anna's occasionall bravery, it would set a bad example, if she chose to talk so freely with any other noble.

A head peaked through the double door. At first I didn't recognise the person - it was not one of our servants, but as his form drifted deeper into the room, I realized it was William. What was he doing here, in this side of the castle?

"I found you, my princess!" He exclaimed.
In the bright sun his hair looked almost golden. If I let my imagination run for little longer, I would think he had climbed out of one of the books in the vast room.
"Why are you here?"
"It's dinner time! I don't like to admit, but I hate to dine alone. A little bird told me, where you are." He smiled.
"I am not too hungry, so I think you will have to eat alone."
William purposely made an upset face. I was not in the mood to listen his gossip today.
"What are you doing in this dusty place anyway?"
"Reading and trying to escape from hustle."
"Wonderful! I think I might try to do the same. You know, all the parties and busy city life... ."
Mr Blanchard sat down in front of me and like every time, he stared deep in my eyes with a sleek smile. He gave me a very uncomfortable feeling, as if knowing something I don't.
"You were wonderful at the party. I didn't know you would have guts to bluntly kick out Maria in front of everyone."
"She chose the wrong time to show up."
"Indeed, indeed. She really did it, made Edmund scary, my knees were trembling... ." William shivered visibly in the seat. "It just seems she doesn't know, when to give up."
"I wish she would... ."
"Do you hope so? I think she will come back, but don't worry. Just say a word and I will come to the rescue." He saluted exaggerated.
"You don't need. I can handle things myself and I also have Edmund."
"Oh that cheater? Sorry, I don't want to be rude, but we're was he at the ball, when you needed him? Gave the attention to other ladies, who might be more important than his own wife?"
I don't know how Blanchard managed to sway my thoughts in the pit of jealousy again. My heart pinched thinking about that night, Victoria and what might be. I didn't want to dwell on such negative emotions without having any proof.
"You are wrong, Mr Blanchard. I know my husband more than you do."
" I am not saying you don't. But do you know about the nature of men? I do. With so much power I doubt he wouldn't take the chance to enjoy the goodies."
William sweeped closer to me over the table.
"Do you know about a possition called mistress?"
"What do you imply?"
"Your beloved can have a 'secret' lover legally, without hiding it from public."
"No, he wouldn't do it."
I don't know why, but slowly I started to doubt my own thoughts. Everything William had said sounded too convincing to dismiss it completely.
"Really? He might be with her right now. Where is he?" William sounded innocent.
"Somewhere in the house. He needed some time alone to cool down."
Blanchard drew his body back, leaned in the chair and put his tall legs on top of the table. I could only see his silhouette, as the strong rays of sun outlined his features.
"Well, he bet not be with any of his girls. Just know, I am on your side, princess. I would hate to see your fragile heart broken."
"The matter of my heart is not your business."
I didn't want to give Blanchard any hope I trust him. He wasn't a person who had showed once his loyalty. It's all words, but I would like to see him act, if his words are so true.
"Whatever, I will be watching you. Who else will... ."
He closed his eyes and lazily basked in the sun.
Through the corner of my eyes I saw the girls watching me worriedly.