28

Everyone's mood at the breakfast table made air heavy, no one talked. Glances of annoyance traveled between the members of my family. It was a very rare occasion to see all of us together, but the feeling of tension suggested that no one was happy to see one another.

I and Edmund were the last ones to join. His mother and father had started their meals without us. Amelia's eyes were set on the fruit salad she had started. It was nothing new, as she never acknowledged me in these situations. I was just curious, why she turned to her old self, after clearly stating her dislike for me. My troubling heart calmed down.

"Good morning!" I said not waiting for a response from anybody.

Through the corner of my eye, I noticed Charles tilting his head and his dark eyes watching me. 

"Good morning to both of you." His voice rumbled calmly.

Edmund's mood hasn't gotten better despite him talking through his feelings with me overnight. Seeing his parents his eyebrows creased even more. He moved his eyes from his mother to over his father in judging stare, as if waiting for them to speak, but his cold nature showed he doesn't want to hear a single word coming from them.

"The last night was rather successful. I waited for more resistance at first, but luckily Thea got sympathies of guests very easy."

Edmund's father chose to take the risk.

I flinched inwardly when Edmund's warning glance reached Charles. I didn't want this morning to go bad so early. I gently touched my husband's arm, to draw his attention back, distracting him from the things he was ready to say.

"By the way, I talked with Richard Ashton, he would be very interested to visit us with his family, someday."

I glanced at Charles surprised.

"He seems to be taking a deep liking for our queen."

"Excuse me, do I know him?" I was confused and it was hard to remember each person I met the last night.

"Shame! How, as a queen, you can forget about people you had talked with?" Amelia blurted out not lifting her eyes.

I heard a low grumble come from Edmund's chest and saw the muscles in his jaw tense. He was ready to spit some nasty words at his own mother.

"Don't!" I said quietly while keeping my hold on his arm.

"You are testing my patience. Continue and it will not go well." 

Edmund chose to voice his annoyance. I could not stop him completely, but at least he did not go any further.

My heart was hurting in sadness seeing him hold the unpleasant emotions flamed up by Maria. Even today, he has not lost the bitterness and anger in his features. What will it take for him to get out of this dark hole? For the moment the only thing I can do is comfort him.

"They can surely visit. I don't mind."

"Great! I will inform him as soon as possible."

Edmund's parents finished their meal and we were left alone. The tension in the air had disappeared. I watch him sympathetically and sad for what has become of him once again.

"Edmund? What is going on? I am so worried."

He smiled weakly.

"Nothing for you to worry about. You have your own problems."

"I have not seen you like this for a long time. Is it something to do with Maria? Tell me...."

"Might be. I can't help myself. She has such a dark control over my mood, I am stuck. Her appearance made all the things I hate to come back to the surface. This damn place and suffocating walls. It will be the end of me."

"You can't give up now. We just need to get over this. I believe there is a better life for us. I need you the most, Edmund. What will happen if I will lose you?" My heart was at breaking point.

"Don't you talk like that, Thea. There will be a happy ending. If not for me, for you. I will make sure of it."

"What about her? What are we going to do with Maria?"

"Everything depends on her own actions" 

Edmund's eyes darkened and deep crease over his eyes hardened his features. Not knowing him, I would be scared to be in his presence.

"She had been quiet for months. I thought Maria let go of our past, but yesterday... We must be on guard."

"You have the support of many people." I brushed my fingertips over his cheek gently. "Try to relax and calm down, alright?"

I left Edmund by himself. He needed so much time alone, as it seemed the only remedy for his problems at the moment. I wanted some relaxing time too and decided to head for the library. I don't remember the last time I took a book in my hands, all the time being busy with settling in the royal family. A book of positive emotions would cheer me up if I could find the right one.

The library was located on another side of the castle - the place was quiet, sometimes seemed abandoned, forgotten by everyone. No servants or guards came here as often as it needed to be. I thought to take my two little helpers with me - Sophia and Anna. It would be a nice change for them too, freeing their busy hands from everyday work.

"Sophia? Anna?" I called out loud moving towards the servants quarters.

Sophia appeared from the room right away, her face showing her usual nonchalant-ness. Anna, on the other hand, burst out in exploding manner full of energy and happiness. Her cheerful face brought lightness to my heavy heart.

"What do you need us for, my majesty?"

"I wanted to go on a journey, but I am too 'afraid' to leave by myself. I will need assistance."

Their faces emitted deep confusion, especially Sophia's. Her serious mind couldn't grasp the true meaning behind my intention. 

I took a hold of Anna's tiny arm and lead her to the place, where I have found comfort many times before.