16

I dismissed what Edmund said about William, all the while the single question burned in my mind. Why he hasn't told me anything about the upcoming event? His face still hold an unpleased expression, worry, slight grumpiness and something else, but I couldn't get a feeling, what was it.  I eyed him for another minute, as he sipped couple spoons of his soup.

"Don't you want to tell me anything?"

His eyes shot up, as if being terribly disturbed. I couldn't help, but flinch.

"Actually, there was, but... but it looks like you already know, what it is about. Am I right?"

So it was all true. I will have to meet other nobles soon and the thought terrified me. Also Edmund seemed not himself, which made me little bit anxious to ask for any kind of support at this moment.

"Don't worry. Everything will be alright."

"It.... it is easy for you to say. You have no idea, how I feel..." I was anxiously stirring up the remaining pieces of vegetables in my soup.

Edmund let out a heavy sigh and I felt his warm hand placed on mine. I didn't notice until now, that it was trembling slightly, but my husband's firm hold was keeping it calmer.

"I will be there and Victoria will come too. If you are unsure of anything, ask her."

Victoria...

I didn't know what to think of her yet. She surely wasn't the type of person I first would go to. I didn't trust her and I couldn't understand, why Edmund decided to have her too at the event. Yeah... He told that she is a good friend... . I should stop worrying so much about this woman.

"William said he will go too."

"How could he miss that?" Edmund said to himself out loud. "I should tell my mother to keep him far away from us."

"Why?" I was curios, why Edmund wasn't fond of his presence.

"Because usually he sticks his nose, where it shouldn't be. His place is between the gossiping, old ladies like my mother."

"Is that why you don't like William?"

Edmund was thinking over my last question and then his face turned grim, like when he came in to this room.

"I would say... both of them." He swallowed the last spoonful of soup quickly as if being afraid it will disappear. "I am little bit tired." Edmund stood up lazily. "I will go to sleep. Please, tell everybody not to disturb me."

Edmund leaned down closer to my face. I waited for him to say something, but he stayed silent. Only then he whispered in my ear, before giving a light kiss on my cheek. "Thank you for the scarf. I love it." 

I didn't notice him leaving. The lovely words he left, still replayed in my mind over and over again. It was nothing significant, but... I was waiting for his reaction to my present all this time since return. My heart raced and I felt so happy all of a sudden. All the worries disappeared in back of my mind.

Somebody was nudging my sleeve. It was Anna. Her little face looked sad.

"I am so sorry, my majesty. I... I didn't want to cause any trouble." Anna was holding her new dress folded nicely in her small hands.

"Don't cry, Anna." I said quietly, afraid to sadden her even more. "You can keep it. Where will I put this dress now? I can't wear it myself." I laughed and hoped she relaxes little bit more.

"But.... Sophia... our king..."

"Listen, keep it and you can wear it whenever you like, only make sure not to show up with it in front of my husband, OK?"

Little girl pulled the folded clothing close to her chest. I saw her tear up, which was breaking my heart. With soothing motion I caressed her back and tiny shoulders. Anna was a good girl and no one could have known the situation will turn out the way it did. I had almost forgotten it and I hoped Anna will do too.

***

The late evening couldn't get any worse. I was sleeping in my bed with Edmund beside me. Everything seemed fine. 

Someone was arguing right outside our bedroom. I heard a woman's voice and Edmund was gone too. It wasn't the loud shouting, but somehow it had awakened me. I wish I would have slept till morning unaware of the things happening on other side.

Edmund was angry and deeply annoyed. I could tell it even without looking in his face. I was afraid too. 

A woman I assume is his mother. She rarely talks in presence of me, so I don't know her voice well.

"I don't know how you had managed to mess this up so bad, Edmund. For years everything was going so fine. What will you do now? Do you think people will accept her? She is nothing... ."

"Nothing... what...? Do you expect her to be like Maria? Sure. She will never be. Do you know why? Because she is so much better than her."

"That's nonsense, Edmund. You know it. People will laugh and mock you for your choice. And me too. Everybody is talking about it, how you ruined everything."

"It is you, who ruined everything. My life, my happiness, my freedom. And now you want to do it again? It won't happen."

"Edmund! Listen to your mother!" She sounded desperate. 

"Why should I? I have never seen you as such."

There was a bit of silence and I thought that everything is over. I have never heard him talk to his mother this way, like she truly meant nothing to him. 

"I will not accept her in our family, never. And I hope others will too. No one needs a pathetic, weak and wimpy queen!" His mother spat. "She will suffer once again, mark my words."

"Don't even consider hurting her - you or anybody else. If it happens.... everybody will see the monster you have created."

I heard her delicate feet stomp away. I was shaking in disbelief and hurt. Not for words she threw at me, but for the broken relationship between them. I had no knowledge, that Edmund despised his own mother so much, almost hated her. I could feel his words through the walls being filled with the most negative emotions towards her.

His mother never said anything to me, almost seemed as I don't exist in her world. Now it seems she still doesn't want to acknowledge my existence as a person nor as a new queen. 

What Edmund meant by his last words? What is he intending to do, if something goes wrong? It scares me. It scares me, that he is nowhere near a better situation as I though before. I fear for him greatly. I want for him to be and feel well for once.

The deathly silence makes me crawl and cocoon deeper in the soft, comforting duvets.

I want to forget this night, the conversation I heard and fear of my future.