59

I was packing bags once again. The excitement to travel back to the summer house kept my heart beating and beating. I longed to see Fiona and everyone else. They will be truly surprised about the soon arrival of my child.

I no longer see my feet, my belly seems enormous, but I do not worry. Everything will be fine. There is nothing that stands in my way. I have Edmund, Victoria the support of the nation. I wish for no more.

I feel warm fingers sneak in between my own. As on a que my child stirs within me signaling my slight excitement of how I feel. Edmund's hand tightens stronger and I look up at him as the soothing warmth fills my heart.

"This time I will not let you out of my sight, Thea. None of you..."

"And I will not even try..." I kissed his smooth lips.

His eyes still emitted that darkness which could not be erased anymore. Like a dirty stain of the past it will always cloud his clean, pearly white gaze. I have failed to clear his heart of bitterness, regret and bring out the inner child who would let go of his guard and relax. Maybe when my child is born, Edmund will change for his own good.

Putting the last clothing peaces in a bag I think about returning home where all my life started. That's how I felt. I had no life before, just an empty existence. He showed me the purpose and made me dream, gave me hope for things my heart secretly wished.

"I can't wait to see Storm!" I exclaimed. "I missed the opportunity before. Now he will be the first I meet." With happy eyes I glanced at Edmund who was standing behind me.

He stayed silent as if lost of words or out of mind and body, but his eyes bore deeply in mine.

"Edmund! What's the matter?" I was worried.

"Storm is no longer with us... I am sorry, Thea..."

"What?" I pulled my trembling hands to hold my uneven breath. "W...when? I... I wanted to see him for the last time."

I could not help but feel the tears of bitterness well up in my eyes. Edmund scooped me in his arms and let me rest on his wide chest. I noticed my tears fall on his black jacket making small, wet patches. I whiped them off and continued as more fell down. He didn't seem to mind.

"He passed away on a day you were supposed to arrive... Don't cry. He had a good life."

"I know, but still... It hurts so much knowing I will never see him again."

"Come, it's time to go. I will tell the servant to take your bags."

"Ok. Sophia and Anna will take care of the rest."

Edmund guided me to the carriage, like a true gentleman he helped me climb inside and made sure I feel comfortable. He had brought a soft fur blanket to cover myself on the way as the cool air might get to my skin. The leaves from the trees had fallen and the bright autumn colours have faided as well. The world seemed gloomy and depressing, but I did not wish to linger on thoughts breaking my heart. The whole new life awaited me - a life of a mother.

***

"Edmund...! Edmund!" I tried to wake him up, but kept my voice low not to disturb him too much.

I looked outside the window and wondered how much further we have to go? The dark clouds masked the few stars that were scattered throughout the sky.

"Edmund!"

"What? Are you alright, Thea?" He finally stir up.

"I... I don't feel well..." I cupped my belly feeling weird sensations and slight cramps.

Suddenly I felt my undergarments soak up in moisture and my heart sped up instantly. I knew what it meant and it scared me.

"Edmund... I think the baby is coming." I couldn't help but sound a little bit panicked.

Seemed that Edmund was still half asleep, but now I noticed his features change to more urgent expression.

"What? Now? Are you sure?"

He tried to help but didn't know where to start or what to do at all. After taking a deep breath he banged on the ceiling to get coachman's attention.

"Hurry up! As fast as you can!"

I felt the carriage sway and the dark shadows of the trees flew by faster. I could not keep track on them anymore thinking about what is about to come. I waited for this moment, but could not imagine how frightened I will feel. I was scared to feel the pain and what else not, the many unknown experiences that would come with labour. The pain was not strong  and I could manage the ride for some time ahead.

"You just calm down, Thea. Breath, just breath. We will get home soon and will find someone to help you." He looked nervously out the window."

"You talk like you have experienced this before." I looked in his ghostly eyes for assurance.

"No... only what I have heard from my mother."

"Did she tell you about your birth?"

"No. Not to me, but to all her girlfriends. I was there dragged along, I had no choice when I was young."

I felt another contraction and unwillingly my breathing increased.

"Edmund... I am scared... What if something goes wrong?"

"Don't think about such things. You will be fine, you are strong."

His words would calm me, but I could not help and feel very anxious. This was all new experience to me and very scary to a young woman as myself. All I had to do was breath and keep good thoughts. I began to humm a melody which would help me disperse the unwanted thoughts and needles worries.

"Relax..." Edmund whispered and I wished for a moment I could be as calm and cool headed as my husband.