20

I leaned my back against the chair. Weakness in my legs seemed to disappear slowly, but I was not ready to meet and talk with our guests. Some time of rest was all I needed for the moment.

Edmund's eyes were set hard on the chatting people beneath his superior gaze. This was the whole new side, I have not seen in my husband. It means, I know him not near enough as I had thought.

So much I know - he is not enjoying this party.

His pearly orbs turned my way under the dark, creased eyebrows, that shows how much annoyed he seems. Then a small smile flashed just for a second.

I looked at him questionably, unaware of what he meant by his small expression.

"You look beautiful today, Thea." Edmund said in quiet voice.

I couldn't help but return a shy smile.

"This is your rightful place. It suits you."

"I... You are saying it, just because I am your wife."

"Don't believe me? Well, some day you will see for yourself."

Edmund's compliment brightened my mood and I could forget the troubling thoughts just for a moment.

But the delightful feeling didn't last long. All around I could hear whispers, some random words, which definitely suggested that a conversation was about me. Words 'unbelievable', 'pretty', 'slave', 'how could he' swam around me and came to my ears. I couldn't guess, how they viewed me, what were they thinking? Are these people alright with me, as I have taken so high position in society?

"Come! You need to relax and I think some talking and get to know guests will help." Edmund gently took me by my hand and guided me deeper into the crowd.

I saw no familiar faces. Everybody were looking at us, at me, while we passed by, which made me feel extremely conscious.

We stopped by an older couple with a young girl by their side. The gentleman was little bit overweight, the buttons on his belly barely hold his stomach in, but his attire was so we'll put together, that you could not notice such small detail. His head was starting to bald, just few grayish golden hair were left. He looked snobbish, like everyone else I had seen so far.

His wife had no particular expression, just the arrogant look in her eyes. Her serious demeanor scared me a bit. The coal black hair with stripes of grey made her look a bit evil, but I couldn't tell it for sure without knowing her.

Their teenage daughter I could describe in one word - spoiled brat. Her puffed up face suggested she was not happy about something.

"Thea, I want to introduce you with Armand Saleton. He is the current ruler of the Whilltowe country, soon our state. His wife - Lusianna and young daughter Eleonora." Edmund said.

"I am honored to meet you all." I smiled and made a small bow with my head.

"The honor is mine, our queen! "Armand's voice sounded rather polite for his appearance. "Edmund, I compliment you for your odd choice. She seems rather well behaved concerning her background."

I knew that at some point the topics for conversations will come to this, but this man didn't allow me even to get ready for such situation.

"Tell me, what made you take her under your wing?"

"Her simplicity, caring nature."

"I hope, she will be as caring for my country." Armand laughed. "If Edmund has put so much trust in you, then I will do the same." He turned to me.

"Thank you, Sir Saleton. I will do my best."

"I can still see the remnants of her past life in her." His wife decided to join the conversation.

"Lusianna! Watch with who you are talking to. You don't want get on her bad side, do you?" Armand intervened.

"I didn't say I have something against her. It's just obvious in her appearance." Her eyes bore deeply in my face, as she cooled her face with a fan.

I felt so uncomfortable in her presence. Most of it, because I couldn't make out was she against me or not?

I wanted to apologize, but Edmund glanced at me and I knew what it means - I shouldn't.

"I guarantee, that most likely you won't get your traditional queen from Thea. I await something far more greater." Edmund managed to stir up emotions in my heart again.

Lusianna smiled. "That's very intriguing. I can't wait to see the fruits of your reign."

Over the night we met more people. Most of them were leaders from neighboring countries - soon to be united under one whole. They hold different views of me and my place, but none of them seemed to oppose my new status. I knew, that some are still not happy, but nothing could be done now. Edmund made his choice to leave Maria. He was completely aware of the consequences.

We both took some time off and stopped by the table with snacks and drinks. A huge platter of exotic fruit stood in the middle, while smaller ones with spicier tastes were cramped along the edges. All kind of flavors and smells tickled my senses. I felt hungry.

"Thank you Edmund for your support. I wouldn't last a minute here on my own." I said plastered close to his tall form.

"I know how scared you are. That's the least I can do."

The unpleasant tension was still present in his features, but he looked at me with the most caring gaze. I felt thankful, that he is my life's partner, my love. I could not hope for a better man, even though some might think he is the most rudest and spoiled man to be around. I know the other side of him - the caring nature and support he gives me.

"Edmund? Sorry to disturb you, but could I get you for a minute?"

A man I had not seen before came by. He greeted me unnoticeably, but said no word. I didn't know what to think of him. He was not the high nobleman, but neither someone from the lower classes. Quite young and tall with dark brown eyes and black hair, combed similarly to Edmund's style. The tight fitting jacket and pants made him look mysterious.

Edmund turned back to me with apologetic look in his eyes.

"Sorry, Thea! I will have to leave you alone for some time."

"Edmund..."

"Don't worry. Everything will be alright. I will send someone to you as soon as possible."

"Alright." My voice hold a defeated tone.

In reality I felt very scared to be left alone. I was glad, that at this point I knew some of these people, but there were still so many unknown faces. Edmund disappeared behind the  forms of guests.

I decided to stay quiet and hoped that no one will notice me.

My hunger got my attention back to the food and I took a bite of the most appealing piece.

Not too long after I noticed a presence beside me. Another lady's delicate fingers reached for the fruit. I paid no attention and prayed she will leave me alone.

"This is simply outrageous, how easy they have accepted you without questioning anything." Her soft voice was quiet, so much, only I could hear it and maybe someone, who stood close. "I bet it is because they respect Edmund so much. Sometimes I wonder, how he has achieved such authority. I am certainly not complaining." She let out a tiny laugh. "If I would have a power, I would leave you in the cold, dark basement, where is your rightful place."

"That's enough, Amelia!" A familiar voice cut her off sharply.