19

I took a deep breath, before getting out of carriage. Edmund sat in front of me and watched silently – waiting, when I will get the will to face the crowd. Loud murmurs made me aware, that I will have no choice , but to eventually meet these people.

Without saying a word, he took my hand, the warmth of it soothed my beating heart. As the door opened, I heard gasps, cheerful shouting, whispers. My husband left the carriage first, his tall form towered over the 'small' people. I couldn't get away and faced them all as well. If it wasn't Edmund who hold my hand, I would be trembling like an aspen leaf in the wind.

The sight was overwhelming. Men, women in different ages stood alongside the path that lead into the building. I could not distinguish the individual faces, my gaze darted from one side of the crowd to other.

"Don't pay attention to them." Edmund said quietly.

I listened in Edmund's suggestion by better focusing on my well being, than think about all these people, who I, most likely, will never meet in person.

Edmund's face was dead serious, almost annoyed. I could imagine him exploding in any minute, but he managed to keep his calm, even when talking to me - he appeared collected.

As we closed in on the entrance, the noise of people quieted down. The same guards let us inside.

The hall felt so much warmer, than, when I visited it before. Everybody were dressed better, than a swarm outside. Elegant ladies and gentleman in finest clothing. Their dresses looked like delicious cakes. Some faces hold the kind vibes, while others reflected the unpleasant feelings hidden inside. It was scary, how many unknown faces were about to come at me.

I know, many of them have met Edmund numerous times before. He was not the reason for commotion. It was me. I was the star, subject of gossip and curiosity. They wanted to see me.

I felt myself leaning more and more on Edmund. His presence was more than a need for comfort. Never in my life I have felt so nervous, almost on a brink of passing out.

"Edmund... I feel sick." I whispered and hoped he can hear me.

"Hold on."

As if on flick of a finger, I received a cold glass of water. Without wasting time, I drank all of it in one go. It helped with seemingly inescapable nausea to calm my nerves and made my mind clearer. When I lifted my eyes, everybody were looking at me, with an emotion I couldn't describe.

A desperate need to apologize were siting in my throat, when I felt Edmund's hold get my attention.

"Don't apologize." He whispered in my ear.

"S...sorry Edmund." I said him as quietly as possible.

He didn't reply. I could only see his arrogantly raised chin facing the crowd.

"Ho, ho ho! Edmund! It's been a while."

I saw a tall, older man come forward. He had neatly combed, short white hair and thick, styled, color matching mustaches. Strongly built and overall visually intimidating, but his face and eyes hold the most kindest expression and warmth.

For the first time tonight, a subtle, genuine smile appeared on Edmund's face. The sight lit my heart a bit.

"I am happy to see you too, Sir Murray! Where is your lovely Helena? I don't see her anywhere."

"Oh! She is probably with her girlfriends somewhere here, I suppose. Awaiting our future queen!" I could hear his chest rumble, but no audible laugh came out. "And my dear daughter sent apologies, for she will be late."

"No worries. It's Thea, who needs her the most."

"Well, I hope nothing goes wrong." A wide and warm smile appeared behind this gentleman's mustaches. He bowed in respect. "I hope we will have more time to talk, my queen."

Awkwardly I made myself crack a polite smile. Who was this man? So welcoming familiar to Edmund, to me?

My husband guided me further until we reached the door with his grandmother's crest. All I could see were two dark throne chairs at the other end.

The warm smile of Sir Murray stayed embedded in my mind. He seemed so nice and gentle, from the first impression. I couldn't imagine, that someone from a noble family would look so kind. 

He has daughter. Is she the same kind of soul as her father? I couldn't wait to meet her, if she is so.

Both of us stopped at the thrones. We stood little bit higher up, than everybody else and now I could see the faces of familiar people, some completely new. The soft chatting slowly quieted down until it stopped completely. All eyes were set on us. I felt so judged and small, like a tiny insect under the magnifying glass. 

The sudden words of Edmund scared the living soul out of me, when he started talking.

"Greetings to all of those, who has honored us by coming to this wonderful event. Some of you may be confused, disappointed, of why I have changed my mind so drastically in regards of my spouse, why have I chosen someone from different background to be my future ally, wife and life long companion. Here today I have decided to introduce you all with the future queen of Hadria, my wife Thea Wiltshire. Please be kind to her and respectful, the same way she will be for our country and it's people. Also I wish everybody a fantastic night!"

I have never heard Edmund's voice hold so much authority. He sounded so strange, like completely different person - colder, more arrogant. There almost seemed to be a tone of threat in his speech.

I couldn't comprehend the reasons for his attitude.

My train of thoughts were interrupted by louder growing applause. I saw smiles on faces of young girls and glimmering eyes of gentlemen. The experience felt so unnerving. Should I be happy, hopeful or watch my back?