60

The carriage came to a sudden stop. I could not wait longer as the pain was getting unbearable. I looked at the door which came open. The night was pitch black and like distant fireflies, the light of the lanterns illuminated the warmth and comfort of home.

"Edmund? Edmund!" Where was he? I could not see a single soul after he left the carriage. I wanted to go, but something told me I will not be able to stand firmly on my feet. "Edmund!" My voice sounded like a whisper.

Unable to breathe and calm down I wanted outside and get fresh air as well as freedom from the confined space. My feet landed on the first step and then on another. Just in time strong hands captured me and saved me from collapsing on my knees. Like an afraid kitten, I dug my fingers in Edmund's jacket and I wished not to let go.

"Please, Edmund..." The rugged breathing denied me to form sensible words. "...I want this to stop! ...I want the pain to go away...!"

"Hold on, Thea. Soon, soon everything will be over."

His last words faded in nothingness, I could not register a thing.

"Oh my god! Thea! I did not think it's so serious. Get her inside, Edmund. I will get the water and everything else ready."

Seeing Fiona I desperately wanted to greet her, hug her and tell how much I missed the old times but seemed that at this moment my baby wanted all the attention for himself.

I felt the road under my feet disappear when Edmund scooped me up and in hurried steps carried me closer to the warm lantern light. In no time I was placed on a soft bed, it soothed my discomfort for a tiny moment until pain and contractions returned. For my relief, some pieces of my clothing were removed and my breathing eased, the suffocating hold was gone.

"Edmund, you will have to leave this room for now." I heard Fiona's stern voice and then she came to me. Her warm fingers glided over my cheek and concern in her eyes reassured me for a safe outcome. "Hold on! You will get through this and don't be afraid."

Other maids came in the room as well. I recognized Elizabeth too which made me feel safer. She was a lot older and I figured she might be more experienced in such matters than Fiona.

Time felt like flying by. I don't know how long the contractions continued, but soon I realized that it's about time for my child to face the outside world. I was doubting myself. I felt weak, with no strength left I feared I will not be strong enough to deliver my child safely. The moisture covered my body, my face, I felt my hair sticking to my forehead and drench in sweat. Taking all the power within me I pushed, pushed again the whole time thinking about the first time I will see his face and hold him in my arms.

"Don't forget to breathe, Thea." Fiona was chanting beside me.

"I can see a head! Push a little bit more!" Elizabeth felt like a distant being talking to me from another side.

"I can't no more..." I breathed heavily and could not get the needed strength.

"One more time..."

...

"Push more..."

With all the strength I got, I forced myself another time at the same time feeling my consciousness fade. I was powerless and wanted to succumb to sleep that desperately wanted to get hold of my tired body.

"There it is! Beautiful." Elizabeth's voice echoed somewhere in the room.

Everything was silent, I could not hear the breathing of my child nor the first cries. I forced my vision to clear and looked at my maid at the end of the bed. She was holding it, with a soft smile watching its tiny body, arms, and legs.

My heart let out a beat of relief when I heard him cry.

"It's a boy, Thea!"

I heard a gasp of surprise. It came from another maid and then from Fiona. As if being shocked or seen something unexpected their breath got caught in surprise.

"Oh my god! He is... just like..."

The unnerving feeling of unknown sent my heart in panic. I wanted to see him, hold him and know everything is alright with his health.

"What's wrong with my child?" I forced the words over my lips.

For my dismay, my eyes shut tight and gave up to the weakness and loss of power that was holding me captured in its embrace.

***

The moist cloth cooled my forehead and caring hands tucked the loose strands of hair away from my face. I opened my eyes and noticed Anna beside my bed, her eyes focused and serious, which did not register yet that I am awake.

Seconds later she jumped up in surprise and rushed to the door. Her tiny voice shouted through the hallways.

"Queen Thea is awake! Come, quick!"

The daylight was flooding this room. Everything seemed peaceful, quiet, there was eerie silence all around me. The only sign of life was Anna's tiny steps come back to me.

"Where is Richard! Where is my child?" My throat felt like sandpaper and each word was forced over my lips.

"Do you want anything to drink?"

I nodded.

"Baby boy will be with you in a minute!" She chirped.

"Is he alright?"

"I don't know. People say strange things, but I have not seen him myself."

"Strange things?" I was getting worried. "Where is Edmund?"

I don't know why, but I felt like crying. All emotions seemed to come together at the wrong time. Relief, worry, excitement for the new life that has been gifted to me.

"He is coming." Anna eyed me. " Don't cry. Everything is perfect..." She brushed her tiny hand over my head in soothing manner.

The door opened and Edmund walked inside. Little Anna scurried outside shutting the door behind her. My husband hold a white, cocoon-like bundle in his hands. He did not look at me until he was right beside my bed, all his attention is taken to a baby in his hands. He seemed happy and very calm as if there was no single worry in this world.

My only worry was about my child. Is he healthy?

Edmund's white eyes landed on me, he smiled sweetly.

"Is he ok? Is my boy alright. They say... I... I don't know... What's up with him?"

"He...  They say he has my eyes. I think we will have to raise the next king!"