42

As soon as I entered the room, all three girls stood up instantly. Stiff and afraid, their eyes were watching their own feet. I knew they are afraid of me remembering my own feelings at the time.

"Do not be afraid of me. I once was the same as you - a slave."

I kept my voice gentle not wanting to frighten the girls even more.

"Come on, you can look at me."

The tallest one slowly lifted her head up. Now I could see her beautiful eyes - brown and bright. Unfortunately, the emotion in her orbs saddened me.

I took my hand and run my fingers through her blond hair. They were in color of hay and I could imagine in bright sun rays they shine like threads made of gold. She jumped back in fear.

"What is your name?"

I waited for some time for her response.

"Lana." She replied timidly, I could barely hear her voice.

"I am Thea. I will be your ... caretaker."

I noticed the two other girls finally look up at me. All three of them looked very similar, the same shade of hair as well the color of eyes. I could almost say they come from one family.

"Do you know each other?"

"W...we are sisters. Elena and Layla are their names." Said Lana.

"Alright." I smiled. "I will explain what your role will be in this house then." Sisters listened to me carefully. "You all will be taking care of this castle, doing cleaning, cooking and if needed aiding the royal family. Together we are four people - me, my husband Edmund, his mother Amelia and father Charles. As expected you are to show respect to each of them, especially to our king Edmund. As for me... I might forgive you the casualness. There is one very important thing I want you all to know. You are no slaves in this castle, but free people from now on. As for the work you do, each of you will get paid and receive every other considerable bonus that comes with the life of a regular worker."

"Thank you, our lady!" Lana's eyes turned glassy and moments later she burst out in tears. It seemed as if she had been holding the enormously bubbling emotions inside of her for too long and now has gotten a chance to free them.

I knew that feeling. A realization that all your nightmares and fears will be over, that no person is going to hurt you and will treat you as an equal human being. She was a sobbing mess. Elena and Layla seemed stronger in holding their emotions together. I wondered what had happened to Lana, what she has been through. Though some part of me didn't want to go back and dwell in the memories of the past - mine or someone else's in that matter.

"As I am aware, Sophia already showed your own rooms?"

Sisters modded.

The sad look over Lana made my heart ache and I moved over to hug her. I figured no one has given her any kind of emotional support in a long time except her sisters. She did not move away, but let me hold her sobbing form. I felt tears appear in my eyes too.

"It's alright. Don't be afraid anymore. You will have a new life, a better one. You have to forget about things in the past from now on."

It was hard for me to move away.

"I will ask Sophia to help you settle in."

The rest of the day my mind was occupied with the solutions for Edmund's wellbeing. I remember at the time he spent in the summer house he seemed calmer, more carefree and willing to enjoy himself. Even Fiona and other workers said so and were always happy to see the master's return. I hope they see the smiles on their faces soon when we get back to the closed-off sanctuary.

How I miss everybody there. James, Fiona, Elisabeth, Nicolas and the most I do Storm. The thought of him being so old, nearing to the end of his days brings pain to my heart. He feels like a part of Edmund and if he goes away, it might take a part of my husband too. I wish him to never get old, but the reality is different. I just pray for the last time under this sun to see his bright, dark eyes.

"You are not coming with us?" Edmund appeared from a hallway.

I did not prepare myself for the journey and it was clearly noticeable by my husband. So many things had to be done before I leave the castle.

"Is Victoria already here?"

"Not yet, but might be any minute."

I insisted that Edmund invites her along. Even though he is going away to escape the crowds and troubles of the city, some close friends might be good for his wellbeing. Victoria is the closest one from this part and I had never seen her anger him or cause any other mood swings in Edmund.

"Aren't you upset that she is coming with me?" He asked after some time of watching me.

I glanced at him not understanding the undertone of his question.

Edmund's lips turned into a sly smirk. "I know you had some problems with Victoria in regards to me..."

"Who told you that?"

"And what do you think? Victoria of course."

"Why did you keep it secret from me?"

"You girls have to solve your own problems."

Edmund gave me a kiss and he gazed in my eyes for the last time before he leaves. I was happy that for today his mood seemed ok. There was brightness back in his eyes and face. I could tell he can't wait to get back to the countryside. 

Some part of me was still worried. He will not be able to stay there forever. Eventually, Edmund will have to return and face the problems in regards to this land.

"I will be waiting for you. Stay safe!" He said silently.