58

Richard was sitting in a chair, a wooden table separating the space between us.

"Is there any problems, your highness?" I could see he was nervous.

"Relax. I am not here to talk about your work. It's your father I am interested in, more precisely, your relation to him. What are your feelings?"

For a second he seemed spaced out, but then got back his self-control and Richard's eyes reached the floor under his feet. He looked sad and lost in thoughts.

"I... I haven't seen him for a long time... Well... in truth, I haven't visited my father."

"Why is that?" His eyes reached mine for a second and returned to the place he monitored before.

"I... I am ashamed to say it. I forgot about him. Why do you ask, my lady?"

"Would you like to see and meet him again?" I eagerly leaned over the table.

"He would probably be upset about my long disappearance."

"He misses you greatly, Richard. I could see it in his eyes as he escorted me away."

"What? Where did you meet him?"

Richard's posture straightened up immediately as if being awakened from a deep slumber. His eyes burned with life and he awaited my answer.

"Joseph was the one who saved my life, who supported me through the long months and helped me get back home. He is still in the meadow behind the deep forests."

"He hasn't moved from that place, I see. How do you know he wants to see me? I left him all alone and worse of all, I forgot about his existence. He does not deserve to see a son like me."

"He did not tell me this, but I know he wants to. When he named my unborn child I saw the sadness and longing in his face and eyes. He did not express such emotions for anything else I had seen him in that time."

"Did he named your child?" He was surprised.

"Yes." I put the palm on my belly and smiled. "He named him Richard... and I chose to keep that name for my son as Joseph was the one who saved his life."

I was waiting for a moment for any response to come, but he stayed silent.

"I wish to take you to him if you want it. I just don't see any other way how to repay my savior."

"Now when I think about him... I wish to see him too."

"Then there is no time to waste. I will free you of your duties for a short while until you sort things out with Joseph. Inform me when you are ready and we will depart soon."

I smiled and my heart filled with warm feelings. I could not believe I will see Joseph again and make him happy, maybe make them both feel content at the end.

"Are you going too?"

"Yes, I will, for a short moment."

I watched as he tried to hide his excitement and uncertainty of the future. I don't know for how long he has been gone, but it will end soon and it made me feel somewhat in peace with myself and a person who had helped me to get so far.

"You are free to go now."

"Thank you, your majesty. I don't know how I will repay you." He bowed down.

"It's all already settled, Richard."

I followed his lean form as he exited the office and hummed the happy melody while thinking about my own Richard. The boy will grow strong and smart and above all will make people happy, will make my family happy.

***

Richard knew the more accessible way to Joseph's forgotten house, where we could use the carriage almost all the way to the final destination. It eased my mind to think we won't need to use the thick forest and shady path which might lead us astray.

We both stood in front of the tall grass which was slowly getting yellow as the summer was going to an end. My heart was beating heard in anticipation to see Joseph once again. I deeply hoped he is still in his log house waiting for a miracle to come.

"Shall we go?"

Richard looked young and strong and the black uniform accented his wide shoulders. I felt safe despite the nervous vibe he emitted. I knew he is more excited than me. It's his own father and they haven't seen each other for a very long time.

Richard plowed through the grass and I followed close by until the big oak tree came in view and further down the house itself. Nothing looked disturbed.

"Joseph! Joseph!"

I passed the tall form of his son and moved to look for Joseph. Every passing minute made my heart heavier not hearing his characteristic grumbly voice.

I could only hear chirps of birds.

"Damn! Grace? Is it you again?"

He lifted his head up emerging from the yellow see of grassy stems.

It felt like a rock fell off of my chest seeing him safe and alive.

"It's me, Thea!" I said loud enough for his old ears to hear. "I have brought Richard with me!"

We both met and I gave him a tight hug releasing all my feelings and longing over him.

"Damn! Thea... I did not know the time has passed so quickly. Is he born already and you are waiting for the next one?"

"No." I laughed. "It's a gift from me." I continued in a hushed voice.

I moved away and let his son emerge from behind. He seemed hesitant and overwhelmed.

"Hey, dad. It's me... Do you remember me?"

Joseph eyed his son, his tall appearance with a grim expression hidden behind his bushy beard and mustaches.

"Damn! Grace, I think I am a goner..." He took a long pause. "Where have you been for so long...Richard...?"

His son towered over Joseph's fragile body. Richard leaned over and squeezed his old man in a hug that could break bones. There were no words expressed of how regretful the boy felt. I could see it in his eyes and body.

I could not stop the tears of joy fall over my cheeks. The cool air swept my loose hair and the Oak family was united.