The decision

Present Day

"And to conclude, this is why I no longer feel that college is the right fit for me." I looked at my parents. My mother looks as if she's about to drop on the floor with a stroke, and my father looks like he is about to throw something across the family room.

"Savy." Every conversation always starts like this. My parents are always so critical of my choices, but this time I'm finally standing by my decisions

"Do you know how much money and time your mother and I have put into your future? And you're just going to throw it away?" My dad rubs the spot between his eyebrows and looks away from me.

"And I will pay every penny back if it takes the rest of my life." I look at my brother for help, but he refuses to look at me.

"Let me get this straight," my mother says. "You want to leave college to work at a homeless shelter. Are you even going to be paid?"

I shake my head. "The experience is much better than the income, Mother."

My brother shakes his head. "I have to go check on Finn and Lilac. I'll be right back."

I watch him go out the door to the backyard to tend to my niece and nephew. And when I look at my parents again, they still have the look of disapproval all over their faces.

I would like to think helping the poor and disadvantaged was something for which my parents would be proud; I guess not.

"You could have helped more when you became a lawyer." My mother smooths her hair and sighs.

I stand up. "Well, I am an adult. I was only trying to do the right thing and tell you guys before I just dropped out."

"Do you think we are going to fund this latest escapade?" my father asks. His voice has now reached the level I am used to when he doesn't like one of my choices.

"I wasn't asking you to." I roll my eyes. "And what is that supposed to mean--latest escapade?"

My brother re-enters the room just in time to fill me in. "They're talking about high school."

Of course, they are.

"You barely graduated because of all the poor choices you made then," my father sighs. "And look what happened because of them."

He's talking about the accident. And I don't want to hear or talk about it.

I gather my books and purse and head for the door. "Ben, please tell Finn and Lilac I will see them this weekend for the birthday party." I kiss my mom on the cheek and glare at my dad.

Ben nods, watching me head for the door.

"You're just going to leave?" My father crosses his arms. I might have been intimidated years ago, but not anymore.

"Yes, Father. I am going to leave. I have some shopping to do."

"I'd be careful about spending your money. Because I am not going to be paying your bills anymore if you do this, Savy."

I slip on my jacket and throw my purse over my shoulder. "If you want to cut me off, that's fine. Sophie has already told me I can stay with her."

I slam the door behind me and let out a breath of relief. I finally stood up to him. I finally told them I want to do something different, something important to me.

I want to be me.