Good times

Sophie opens the door to her apartment, and I almost fall backwards. Luckily Ryker has me by the waist.

"Sophie," Ryker says. His face is flushed with that yummy I-just-had-sex look smeared all over it.

"Ryker." She takes in his rumpled clothes and raises her eyebrow. "I see you two had a good time."

She moves out of the way so we can come inside, and then closes the door.

"We had a great time." I smile in Ryker's direction. He smirks playing with one of her fall candles while Sophie and I chat it up.

Sophie takes a spot on her sectional. "So Ryker, can you stay a while?"

"Sure." He sits down. "This is a nice place."

"You've already told me that." Sophie draws up her legs and focuses on Ryker and grills him. "I bet your house is even more amazing."

Ryker touches his baseball hat. "I don't have a house."

"What?" Sophie shoots me a look. I shrug. I don't know anything about his life, other than the sex I just had with him has transformed my normally bland world into something extraordinary and fun. "You have to make enough money to afford a sweet place to live."

Ryker shakes his head. "It's not about the money. It's about the time. I don't have time to keep up with a house. I sleep in hotels all the time."

Sophie winces. "That has to be awful. You probably don't get any home cooked meals either, do you?"

Ryker makes a face. "A lot of beer and chicken wings."

I smirk. "I couldn't tell."

Sophie giggles. "Oh, I love this. Two of my favorite people bumping uglies."

Ryker rolls his eyes. "I never knew I was your favorite person."

"You are now that you are bumping uglies with Savy. She needs to get laid."

I get up; it's my cue to excuse myself to the kitchen. Sophie's mouth runs like a leaky faucet and rather than try to get her to shut up I decide on bottled water and some crackers. I need a little sustenance after the sex we just had.

I watch him from the kitchen, as Sophie does her best to make me look like a pathetic girl with no love life. I wonder if he thinks I'm pathetic.

Sophie comes up behind me. "Did Savy tell you that her little nephew loved the skateboard you autographed for him?"

Ryker shakes his head, settling into the cushions. "Nope. In fact, she never mentioned her family before or after the orgasm I gave her."

Sophie lights up. "That is glorious."

I sigh, leaning against the counter. "You guys are pathetic. I didn't think to talk about my family while having sex with Ryker was good conversation. And it's not like he told me anything about his family either." There. That was fair.

Ryker turns his hat to the side. "What is it you want to know?"

I shrug. "I don't need to know anything unless you want to tell me something."

"Well, I don't. Do you want to tell me anything about yours?"

I shake my head. "My dad is still an arrogant jerk most days. And my mother is always running behind him cleaning up his mouth and all the bullshit that spills out of it."

Ryker grows tense, and it starts to feel awkward. Ryker stands up. "I have to go."

I round the counter. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah. It's been a long day." He looks at Sophie. "Sophie, take care of her for me. And if she tries to bail when I come back to town remind her why that's a bad idea."

Sophie stands up, sweeping her hair off her shoulders. "I need to know the reason."

He looks at me. "Because some things are just meant to be."

He walks over to me. "I'll call you when I touch down in Chicago." His arms snake around me, and he kisses me gently on the mouth.

"Okay." It's all I can get out. I watch him head out the door.

I look at Sophie. I can still smell him on me--his earthy-scented cologne. I can still feel his hands on me. My heart is still hammering away in my chest, and my legs still feel like mush after the kiss we had in the hallway. "Shit."

Sophie agrees. "Shit is right."