Promotion

I drop my bag of laundry next to the washing machine in my parents' house. I might be twenty-one, but I would much rather do my laundry at home than some laundromat or at Sophie's apartment. I lift the lid and start tossing my clothes inside. A small surge of excitement hits me down below when my fingers meet up with the dress I was wearing that night with Ryker.

I wish he would call me. I'm in an awkward position—I would really like to call him but I don't want to come off as desperate.

My mom comes into the laundry room. "Good, you're here."

I nod my head and say. "Yeah, I am, if that's alright with you." Judging by the look on her face, I'm not so sure.

"Your father and I would like to talk to you about something." She walks away before I can say anything; I know this can't be good.

I finish loading my laundry and go into the living room where my father is relaxing in his chair. It's like being at a job interview. I wait to be seated.

"It's been almost a week since we saw you," he says.

I sit down. "I started working."

"It's only called work if you get paid for it."

I wrinkle my nose. "I don't think that's the definition."

He reaches over lifting a magazine off the end table. "You want to fill me in on this?"

He tosses it, and it plops down on the coffee table.

"Page nineteen, twenty, and twenty one."

I look at him and then down to the gossip magazine. "What in the world?"

There I am plastered on the pages of this ridiculous magazine for the entire world to see—with Ryker. And we look a lot more intimate than we were at the beginning of the night.

I look up.

"You want to tell me why you're hanging around with Ryker Sosa?"

"I didn't know I had to tell you." I touch my face; the surge of anger forcing its way into my words. "Maybe you should tell me why you forced his family to ship him off after the accident."

My father shakes his head. "Are you forgetting what happened to you?"

"I remember."

My words don't stop him from telling me anyways. "You were in a head-on collision with a truck. We thought you were dead. Ryker Sosa put this family through hell."

"It was an accident." I stand up.

"Sit down right now, Savy," he demands. "We are not finished with this conversation."

I grit my teeth and sit back down on the couch, and my mom comes in the room.

"You having no contact with the guy who almost killed you was the best choice I ever made."

I roll my eyes. "He did nothing wrong. I could have been in the car with anyone that night."

"He almost killed you."

"He almost killed himself," my mother adds.

I stare at my feet, too angry to look at either one of them. "I'm still here. And so is he. And I still want him in my life."

My mother throws up her hands. "Savy—

"Mother." I look at her. She's ready to tell me what she thinks I should do.