Complex

I make it back to Sophie's and let out a huge sigh of relief. Now that I am alone I can breathe. I hadn't noticed how overly cautious I had been about my every movement around Jackson. I think it's the boss thing. I didn't want to screw up and make him think less of me.

I hope I didn't say anything to him that he found offensive. There were moments at lunch where he felt more like a friend than my boss. And my mouth has a habit of saying things it shouldn't.

I shut my door and head up the stairs instead of taking the elevator. I could use the chance to burn off a little energy.

After the fourth flight, I'm out of breath. I throw my hair off my shoulder and fan my face, going at a snail's pace now that I am almost to Sophie's apartment.

Before I have my hand on the doorknob, I hear voices coming from inside. She hasn't said anything about company so I don't have a clue who it could be. I turn the knob and go inside without a warning and gasp.

"Surprise!" Sophie shouts.

I slip my purse off my shoulder and set it on the table. "Why didn't you tell me you were coming back so soon?"

Ryker is standing behind Sophie, as well as his partner in crime, Monty Chipman.

"We got some free time and the first place I thought to come was here to see you." He steps closer and pulls me in for a hug. I shoot a glare in Sophie's direction while squeezing him.

"Isn't that sweet?" Sophie asks, tugging at the collar of her blouse. She knows I'm upset.

"Yeah totally." I lie, going into the kitchen. I turn my back on all of them and pull out a soda.

"How was work?" Ryker asks taking off his baseball cap; he puts it on my head. "You liking it so far?"

I crack open my soda. "So far."

He scratches his head. His hair a sexy mess. "You don't seem happy to see me."

I shake my head. "I am very happy to see you." I touch his face. "Just a little thrown."

"A little thrown?" He frowns. "I thought you would be happy to see me again."

I take another sip of my soda and put it down on the counter. "I am. I just have work, and I'm worried I won't get to spend time with you like I want to."

Ryker takes a seat at the counter. "What time do you have work tomorrow?"

"Early. Like seven in the morning--early." I sit down next to him. "I sort of have two jobs now."

Ryker looks at me. "Two?"

"My boss offered me another job. One that pays." I purse my lips, rubbing the back of my neck. "And I accepted it."

"Doing what?"

"Assisting him--I don't know--helping him out during meetings." The more I try to explain, the less I believe what I am even saying.

But Ryker doesn't mind. He gives a nod and motions me to him. "I've been waiting to get my hands on you again." He kisses me, caressing my cheek.

"I thought we could go back to my hotel for the night. I'll make sure you're up for work tomorrow." His kiss is urgent.

"I think you should just stay here. I have a room, wouldn't it be nicer than a hotel again?"

He shrugs. "Sounds fine to me."

I open the cupboards. "Maybe we should order some food. Are you hungry?"

"Not really."

***

My alarm is going off when I open my eyes. I pry Ryker's arm off me and jump out of bed. "Oh my god!"

He rolls over, rubbing his eyes. "What?"

"It's nine. I am so late." I race around the room frantically searching for everything. I knew having Ryker stay the night was a bad idea.

"I'm sure he'll understand. From what you tell me, he's pretty laid-back." Ryker sits up, running a hand through his hair. I can't take time to admire his cute bed head; I need to get my ass in gear and get to work.

"Being late is never a good thing," I tell him, hopping into my skirt. I turn around and shoot him a look over my shoulder. "Zip this, please?"

I don't have time for a shower. I grab the brush from my purse and run it through my hair.

I find my black heels under some throw pillows and shove my feet into them.

"I don't know when I'll be off." I quickly plant a kiss on his lips. "But, I will call you as soon as I am."

Ryker grins. "I have some stuff to keep me busy. And dinner tonight with your parents, right?"

I nod. I don't really want to think about that at the moment.

I give a quick wave to Sophie and Monty as I run out of the door, barely in my jacket.