PART 1.

STEVE POV:
I've woken up in the 21st century and everything is strange, I'm trying to get myself into some sort of routine, training keeps me focussed. I've decided to run in the mornings, today is my first day doing so, it's early in the morning so it's nice and quiet. As I'm out running I'm thinking back to the war, it felt like just a few days ago but it was actually 66 years ago.

Am I just dreaming or have I really moved this far ahead in the world?

I'm broken away from my thoughts when I trip over something and fall, I manage to catch myself just before my face hits the concrete, I hear footsteps and a British female's voice "Are you alright, Sir?" For a second I think it's Peggy, I push myself up from the ground and tower over the young woman. It's not Peggy. She looks to be in her mid 20's, she has pale skin, shoulder length dark brown hair and hazel eyes "I'm fine, thank you, Ma'am." She smiles "Lost in thought and lose your footing?" I scratch the back of my neck, rather embarrassed with myself "Yeah."

It might be a good idea to try and make some friends, she seems friendly.

I dust my hands off on my pants and hold one out to her "Steve Rogers, Ma'am." She raises an eyebrow "A gentleman? That's a nice change." She takes my hand "I'm Ellie." I look at my watch to see it's 07:02, the end of my run time "What are you doing out this early?" It's obvious she's not running because she's wearing a pair of smart shoes, a pair of pants, a formal shirt and leather jacket "I'm always up early for work." "Oh, sorry, I don't want you to be late because of me." "Don't worry about it, I'm on holiday right now, I've actually had a lay-in, I usually get up much earlier."

Explains why a British woman is in New York.

"I'll leave you to continue your run." Before I can say anything she walks away. The next morning I'm running again when I see Ellie up ahead, I slow down and approach her "Morning Ellie." She looks over her shoulder and smiles "Oh, hey Steve." She turns fully to face me and we talk for a bit. The next few days are the same, it becomes a thing, we talk every morning. It's now been 8 days, this morning she approaches me instead "Steve." "Morning Ellie." "I was wondering if you wanted to hang out, other than just our morning chats?"

Go for it Steve, it's not like you've got anything better to do.

"I'd like that. Recommend anywhere?" "Yeah, you see that cafe?" She moves closer to me and points down the road "Yeah." "We'll meet there, 1pm?" "Alright, I'll see you then." I continue my run, looking forward to getting to know her better later.

I leave the apartment Director Fury gave me and head to the cafe, I'm crossing the road the cafe is just opposite, I see Ellie walking inside so I speed up. I walk inside and join the queue behind her "You're early." She jumps out of her skin, we both laugh "You're early too." We both order some food, which she refuses to let me pay for, we then sit down at a table together, I start with the questions "So Ellie, what do you do for a living?" "I'm a Doctor, how about you?" "Army." "Cool."

She did say she was on holiday, didn't she?

"How long you got left on your holiday?" She hesitates and looks a bit guilty, but I don't know why "Uh, a while." "You don't seem so sure."

Is she lying to me?

"It's complicated, I'm not needed at work right now." "Right..." She gives me a small smile "I'll be going back whenever they need me, so if I just disappear without saying goodbye, then I'm sorry." After that awkward conversation we move onto hobbies and interests for the both of us. Then for the next few says I see her in the mornings again, then one day I don't. I look around but she's nowhere to be found, I even wait around for a little while but she doesn't turn up.

Must've gone back to work.