eighteen

The trio quietly walked to the direction of the records room atrium, but they had to get through the receptionist first

The trio quietly walked to the direction of the records room atrium, but they had to get through the receptionist first. They turned a corner into a beautiful atrium area in front of towering Art Nouveau doors carved to resemble trees. A very old woman named Melusine behind the desk was in the way of them entering.

"Puis-je vous aider?" Melusine asked.

"Er - yes, this is Leta Lestrange." Newt gestured to Trinity, his hand on her back. "And I'm her fiancé..."

Trinity was utterly confused. No one told her anything about what was going on. She had no clue as to who Leta was.

"I'm her sister-in-law," Tina added, gesturing to Trinity.

Melusine stared at them. Trinity had fair, tanned skin that was a similar shade to Leta. Melusine lifted an ancient book onto the desk and opened it. Her finger trailed through lines of the book, searching for Leta Lestrange. Finally, she pointed to the door.

"Allez-y."

"Merci," Tina whispered timidly.

"Thank you," Trinity responded, avoiding eye contact with the old woman that scared her so.

"Thank you," Newt whispered.

Melusine eyed them suspiciously as they passed by. The doors to the records office opened. They entered briskly. The doors closed behind them, plunging them into darkness.

"Lumos," Tina whispered.

A race of shelves stretched away from them, all carved to look like trees, disguised as the edge of a forest. Pickett poked his head out of Newt's pocket and squealed in excitement. The trio walked closely together, scanning the eerily quiet area for any dangers that could have been lurking. They weaved in and out of the carved shelves that were filled with rolled-up parchment, the occasional prophecy, and other mysterious trunks and boxes.

"Newt, can I talk to Trinity?" Tina asked. "Just for a moment."

Newt glanced at Trinity who gave him a wide-eyed look. He squeezed her hand and walked ahead of them, leaving the two women alone.

"I'm sorry for what I did a couple months ago," Tina said. "I thought there was a connection between Newt and I before you. We exchanged letters frequently, but I never knew about you. He never mentioned you. Queenie convinced me to see Newt. I really am sorry, Trinity. I have a boyfriend now. His name is Achilles Tolliver. He's an Auror, like me. I'm not making any moves on Newt and I won't in the future."