twenty-two

Nagini grabbed Credence and tried to drag him away with her, but he was staring at Grindelwald intently

Nagini grabbed Credence and tried to drag him away with her, but he was staring at Grindelwald intently. He wanted to go to him, but Nagini didn't want that. She wanted Credence to stay with her.

"He knows who I am," Credence whispered.

"He knows what you were born, not who you are," Nagini responded.

Grindelwald smiled at Credence through the fire. Credence pulled away from Nagini and started walking to the flames in the center. Credence walked the stairs to Grindelwald. Queenie had also left to go to the other side. Jacob wouldn't go with her and he tested her patience and honor.

Tina screamed and attempted to get her sister back, but Queenie Disapparated long ago. Grindelwald used the Elder Wand as his conducting instrument to push the flames farther. Newt and Theseus were on one side of the flames together on the steps, while Nagini was on the other.

Trinity was walking around the flames, trying to get back to Newt. She was so hot. She was a creature of water. She couldn't handle the heat.

"Trinity," Newt whispered. "Stay there!" he shouted.

"But - "

"Stay!" he commanded.

Trinity licked her dry lips and nodded. She really wanted to go to Newt. She wanted to hug him and cling onto him. She just wanted to protect him.

"Trinity, do you miss your family?" Grindelwald asked.

Trinity froze, eyes locking with Newt. He shook his head furiously.

"Don't look at him!" Newt shouted.

But, she turned around slowly, breaking her eye contact with Newt to look into Grindelwald's eyes. He smiled at her, stretching out his hand.

"You haven't told him, have you? That your family is dead? Your clan lives, but there are not many of them left."

Trinity clenched her hands into fists. "How do you know that?"

"They died only two months after you fell into the arms of Mr. Scamander. Muggles, they say, killed them, but it was not the act of Muggles. It was the act of the Ministry, afraid and needing to place the blame on someone for all the wrong in the world. It was perfect. Sirens killed Muggles daily for food, so Aurors took them down. Isn't that right, Theseus Scamander?" Grindelwald asked, a sick smirk on his face.

Newt looked at Theseus, shocked and sickened. "Theseus?"

Theseus looked at his younger brother, mouth open and speechless. "I'm not in the Beast Division, but I knew what the Ministry was doing. The Beast Division would've caused a fit if they knew what we'd done, so we told no one. Travers brought the idea up, and Spielman agreed. They called upon Grimmson to kill the clan of sirens. I didn't know of it 'til Grimmson walked into a board meeting with a floating sack of bodies," Theseus explained.

"I'm going to be sick," Trinity muttered, clapping her hand over her mouth.

Two months after she went back with Newt, Trinity had gotten sick. She originally thought she was pregnant, but she was not. She was bedridden with a fever for a couple of days. She wouldn't eat anything and she would puke up black goo. Newt figured that she should be in the water because she was a sea creature, and so, he carried her into a pool of water in his basement. Trinity had gotten better, but it took a while. She slept in the water, breathed in the water, but still ate nothing, until the pain and fever passed. Then, that was when she realized her family was dead. She could feel their deaths.

"Do you still trust them, Trinity?" Grindelwald asked.

"I trust Newt," she declared. "Because I love him and nothing will break me apart from him. Not even you."

Grindelwald frowned for a moment before turning to Newt. "Mr. Scamander, do you think Dumbledore will mourn for you?" Grindelwald questioned as he threw a large burst of blue fire at them.

Trinity screamed in fear that Newt would get hurt. Newt scrambled to get his wand out. Theseus and Newt defended themselves.

"Grindelwald! Stop!" Leta shouted.

Theseus's eyes stayed on his fiancée. "Leta..."

"This one I believe I know," Grindelwald said.

Theseus made a gigantic effort of will, carving a passage toward Leta, determined to reach her.
Grindelwald moved toward her through the flames Theseus fought closer, desperate to reach her.

"Leta Lestrange...despised entirely amongst wizards...unloved, mistreated...yet brave. So very brave. Time to come home." Grindelwald stretched out his hand. He looked at her, eyes narrowed.

She looked toward Theseus, who was watching her, stunned. "I love you," she whispered.

She pointed her wand at Grindelwald and cast a Killing Curse, but he easily blocked it. He looked at her with a deadly glare. The fire engulfed Leta, turning her to ashes. Theseus tried to dive after her, but Newt grabbed him and Disapparated. Meanwhile, Kama grabbed Nagini and Trinity, then Disapparated.

Grindelwald clicked his tongue in annoyance. "I hate Paris."