Unexpected Threat

By lunchtime, word had spread that Julie had 4 tickets to the Midnight concert. The girls sat at their usual table and half the school was trying to join them. The seven sexy men of Midnight were all unmated werewolves. That gave each girl a desperate hope that they could be their fated match.

"Please take me, I know the Moon Goddess meant Jungwoo for me. If we could just be in the same room, I know he'd find me" begged a small blond girl.

"Stop, I've already decided who's going." Didn't matter how many times she said it, nobody was taking her answer as final.

'You don't understand...." begged the blond girl.

"Hey, you're in my chair," Nathan said as he pulled on the chair the girl was sitting in forcing her to stand up. Nathan took the girl by the arms and physically moved her away from the table. Depositing her into a chair at the next table over he then returned to his normal seat next to Julie.

 Depositing her into a chair at the next table over he then returned to his normal seat next to Julie

"Quiet birthday, huh?" He said casually.

"Thanks," Julie breathed a sigh of relief. Once Nathan sat down, many of the girls pestering Julie had melted away. Nathan scooted his chair closer to her and began to eat his lunch, their legs almost touching as they ate. Julie reveled in the warmth of her best friend and first love sitting next to her. She loved these daily intimacies that seemed to fill her day. They had talked once about not making any plans until they knew for sure that their wolves were mates, but each day it seemed like it was more and more obvious that they would be.

"What time is the party starting?" Darcy asked from across the table.

"7 PM, you know that," Julie responded.

"Just checking, I'm leaving after sixth period to go shopping and I wanted to make sure I had time."

"Shopping?" Stacy groaned, "We already have what we're wearing for tonight. We agreed to help set up for the party. Why do you need 4 hours for more shopping?"

"This isn't about tonight, I have to get started now if I'm going to be dressed for perfection for the concert," Darcy said with a flip of her hair. She brushed off a non-existent speck from her immaculate outfit and examined her nails for dirt. "When you are hunting a famous mate, you have to look your best."

"You're not even shifted yet. Even if you were destined for one of our boys, they still wouldn't know until your birthday which is six months from now." Elizabeth pointed out.

"Oh fine, just kill all my hopes why don't you." Darcy pouted.

"As if, well, keep an eye out for the rest of us while you're out shopping. We'll be at Julie's decorating for the party." Elizabeth rolled her eyes and ignored Darcy's unconvincing pout.

Nathan turned to Julie and gave her an intense look, "I will be running late tonight. I have to help my dad with something, but I will be coming and then you and I will talk once your wolf and mine meet."

Julie swallowed nervously and gave Nathan a small smile. "I'll be waiting, don't worry."

"Just don't do anything.....before I get there." Julie wondered at his hesitation but promised him she would wait for him. He then got up and sauntered out the door.

"Oh look, its the birthday girl." came a snide voice from behind Julie's back.

Everyone turned to look at the buxom blond who spoke

Everyone turned to look at the buxom blond who spoke. She was dressed in a tight low cut shirt and short shorts that showed off her bra line and her long legs to perfection. Her dark blond hair was tied up in a ponytail which showed off her long neck and her nails were painted bright red. If it wasn't for the death glare she was directing at Julie and the sneer on her face, she would have made a gorgeous picture.

"Ah, and what do I owe the pleasure of your snide comments today, Michelle?" Julie responded with an air of boredom.

"You have been parading your tickets all over school as if you are the only lucky ones. I also happen to have tickets...and VIP backstage passes." the words oozed out from between her lips as if Julie's gift was lacking where it mattered.

"Good for you," Stacy said unimpressed, "and that matters to us why?"

"I bet your parents had to get nosebleed tickets and yet you think you are special. You don't even know where to start." Michelle looked down her nose.

"They are on the floor near the stage, actually, and I don't care what else you have. Isn't the football team waiting for you under the bleachers?" Julie said crossly.

"At least the boys want me which is more than I can say for you," Michelle bragged.

"They want the easy sex, not you." Julie fired back.

"You little bitch, you think you have everything don't you?" Michelle's eyes flashed with anger. "You won't be a child after tonight and then you and I will have words. I warn you now, this is just beginning."

"What is beginning? You and I have nothing to do with each other. Where is all this animosity coming from? You've been a real bitch to us for about a month now. Did you shift and your mate reject you?" Julie said with some heat.

Michelle's friends all gasped and Michelle turned bright red. "Just you wait...I'll kill you when I get a chance, Red Riding Hood." With that, she stomped off.

"What was that all about?" Elizabeth asked while everyone else looked on with mouths open.

"Maybe she really was rejected?" Darcy said quietly.

"She's the pack slut, so it's possible," Stacy said.

Julie hadn't meant what she said about being rejected. Being rejected was the most horrible experience a new werewolf could go through. Wolves tended to go mad after being rejected. If Michelle had been rejected, she wouldn't be sane enough to make threats, she'd be wild and uncontrolled. No one wished for that on anyone, not even for a petty witch like Michelle. The last pack member to be rejected had to be incarcerated to prevent them from destroying everyone in their wake. Eventually, the wolf died and the human was left broken, a shell of their former selves. Their human mate hadn't understood what their choice had done, but it didn't stop it from happening. Even if the two human partners didn't like each other, they didn't want to destroy the other's wolf and so would just stay away from each other till the bond broke and they could move onto finding someone else.

"Well, since lunch has been such a ray of sunshine, shall we go to class?" Stacy said. The four friends got up and left for class.

A/N: I'm loving the illustrations @bonnehh  is making for my book.  Can't wait to see what else she creates.